Chapter 33

The kid that Castiel saved from the jocks finds him later that day, as he searches for his ride home. Ordinarily, Castiel wouldn't stop to chat, but now, he does. He isn't sure why. Maybe it's because he likes this kid on a subconscious level.

"Hey," the boy greets him. "I never got the chance to thank you for earlier today."

"Don't mention it," Castiel replies, meaning it literally but coming off as a normal response in place of "You're welcome."

"I'm Garth, by the way," he introduces himself.

"Castiel."

"'Castiel'?" Garth echoes. "That's a cool name."

Castiel just shrugs. It's unique, he'll give it that, but it only serves as another thing setting him apart from everyone else.

"I'm new here," Garth adds, "and I don't really have any friends. Can we be friends?"

Castiel doesn't bother telling him how grade-school it is to ask if you can be friends. Instead, he replies, "You don't want to be my friend. Trust me."

"Why not?"

"Because if people associate you with me, I guarantee it will not be the last time you're shoved into a locker."

"There's no stopping that now," Garth replies. "I know I'm going to get picked on. I just want some friends to sort of balance it out, you know? An upside to having to go to school."

Castiel can't help but notice his completely different view on this. Where Castiel pushes people away, Garth holds them closer. Is that why he's so much more optimistic than Castiel, or is it a result of his optimism? Either way, it interests Castiel more than it should.

"Then I guess I'll be your friend," Castiel says uncertainly. "But you may regret this."

"No way," Garth replies, his confidence the opposite of what Castiel is feeling. "Can I have your number? In the least gay way possible?"

Castiel chuckles. "My phone broke, actually, but once I get a new phone, sure."

"What happened to your phone?" Garth asks curiously. "How'd it break?"

"The same way my bones broke," Castiel replies. "The football team thinking they own everyone."

"That was them?" Garth repeats, looking scared now.

"Yeah, but you'll be fine if you just don't tell anyone that they mess with you."

"Oh," Garth replies, his face paling.

"What?"

"I sorta already told people," Garth admits.

"Who?" Castiel asks. Depending on who he told, word may not get around to them.

"Uh... These two guys. I don't know their names. One of 'em is super tall and the other one is way shorter, and they've got long hair and —"

"Sam and Gabriel," Castiel fills in. "The two that came and found me?"

Garth nods. "I think so. I mean, the tall guy stayed with me for a little bit while the other guy went in that general direction."

"Yeah, Sam and Gabriel," Castiel confirms. "They've done their part, so you're fine for now if you don't tell them again. It was Gabriel finding out that pissed them off, though, so keep that in mind."

"Good to know," Garth replies. "So, what, I just let them bully me?"

Castiel nods. "Yep, basically. Because if they get in trouble for it, they'll be pissed, especially if they get kicked off the football team, and they will take it out on you."