Chapter 79

A/N Holy crap this is not at all where I thought this story was going when I started it.

The next week goes by slower than Castiel ever thought possible. He just keeps waiting for the call back. Jim said it could be a couple weeks, and then he said the end of this week after he decided he liked the music. That sounds like a good thing.

But what if Eric Kripke didn't like it and they're going to wait longer before telling him they're passing him up? No, no no no. Castiel doesn't like that idea. Right now, he doesn't care what this Eric Kripke thought of it. He just wants to know.

After a very long four days in which Castiel has to avoid certain death by jocks in gym, he finally gets a call on the home phone because the Novaks as old school and still have a home phone, which apparently isn't very popular nowadays. No one goes to see who it is, so Michael does.

"Hello?" Michael answers. Pause. "Yeah, sure. Hold on. Castiel! Phone's for you!"

"Coming!" Castiel calls, rushing out so he doesn't keep whoever it is waiting. Michael hands him the phone and walks away. "Hello?"

"Castiel Novak?" a man's voice on the other end asks.

"That's me," Castiel confirms.

"Great. I'm Eric Kripke from Wayward Records. I hear you were interested in being a songwriter here?

"That's right..." Castiel replies. Is this an exception call? Or is he dragging it out because it's bad news. Dammit, he didn't make it, did he?

"The good news is that I love your songs," Eric Kripke tells him. "But I'm not so sure about you being a songwriter for someone we've got signed here."

"Oh." Well, Castiel didn't expect anything different. Hoped, maybe, but not expect.

"I was hoping we could sign you as a singer-slash-songwriter instead," he finishes.

"Wait, seriously?!"

"Yep," he replies. "You're good. You've got something special. I can't promise it'll amount to anything; the business isn't really based on talent anymore. But I wouldn't be surprised if you pulled through. It'll take a lot of effort on your part; a lot more time, too. But I can see you making it to the big leagues. What do you say, Castiel? You in?"

Castiel hesitates. He's never been one for the spotlight. Writing a song is different; no one knows the writers. But singing... That requires actual spotlights on him, for god's sake. That's insane!

"Definitely," Castiel says anyway. "I'll have to ask my dad when he gets home from work, but I'm sure he'll be fine with it."

"Great," Eric Kripke replies. "If he says 'yes,' come back here Friday and we'll finalize everything, and you'll have yourself a record deal."

"Thank you so much!" Castiel says with way more enthusiasm than he ever thought possible.

"Thank you," Eric Kripke replies. "I have a feeling you're going to go places. I hope to see you tomorrow."

Click.

Castiel carefully places the phone back on the charger holder thing before running upstairs yelling "Lucifer!" at the top of his lungs.

"What?" Lucifer calls back, immediately opening his bedroom door. "You look happy. Did I miss something good? I missed something good, didn't I? What was it?"

"I'm gonna get a record deal! They want me to be a singer and everything!"

Lucifer starts jumping up and down excitedly. "Oh my god, Castiel, that's awesome!" he squeals. "You're, like, a couple years away from being the next Taylor Swift! Maybe less!"

"Um... I don't really know anything about Taylor Swift, but... Yay?"

Lucifer face palms. "You need a life, stat. Then again, you're gonna be the next Taylor Swift, so maybe you don't need a life yet."

"I don't really know how to respond to that..." Castiel admits.

"I know you don't," Lucifer replies. "Where's the fun in talking to you if you know what to say?"

Oh. Well, that explains a lot of what Lucifer has said.

"I'm gonna text Dean," Castiel announces.

Lucifer gasps, an exaggerated smile on his face. "You told me before Dean? Castiel, I'm flattered."

Castiel rolls his eyes. "Whatever. Bye."

He walks away before Lucifer can continue saying stupid things. Sitting down on the living room couch, he pulls out his phone. Is Dean still at practice? Probably. He should text Dean instead.

Castiel: DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN CALL ME ASAP I HAVE SOMETHING AWESOME TO TELL YOU!!!!!

And now, he waits.

~~

Chuck doesn't come home until late, per usual. Castiel runs up to him as soon as he enters the house, a huge smile on his face.

"Dad! Dad Dad Dad Dad Dad!" Castiel chants excitedly. "That record company called back and said that they want me to be a singer-songwriter for them! Can I? Can I? Can I can I? Please?"

Chuck laughs. "Sure. Do I have to do anything?"

"Yeah, they said you have to come with me to the place tomorrow and sign papers or something and then boom, I have a record deal!"

"I can do that," Chuck replies. "Congratulations, Castiel. I'm proud of you. And when you go on tour and tickets sell out immediately, I better get some first."

"Definitely. Front row and everything," Castiel assures him, even though he knows the odds of him succeeding at all, never mind being that popular, are incredibly low.

"Awesome. Well, good for you, Castiel. Everyone is gonna love you. I'm sure of it."

Castiel beams with pride. "Thanks, Dad." He gives his father a hug. "I love you."

"I love you, too, Castiel."