Werewolf Forest::Chapter 10

Hey everybody! I'm SO SO SO sorry it's taken me so long! Oh and I also apologize for it being so short. But anyway, the usual, please vote, comment, yadda, yadda, yadda. Above all enjoy and remember feedback is ALWAYS appreciated! Vote goal for this one is 40 by next Wednesday ,4/14/10, 7 days, one week, and anything else you can think of to describe that time. Oh and an average of 8 votes a day. Oh and I think either chapter 11 or 12 is when I will be announcing the winners of the character contest!! I still need guys people!!! So anyway enjoy chapter 10!!!

~Alex

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

So much time had passed. Exactly how long I didn't know. I had stopped counting the days a long time ago. All I knew was that summer had turned into fall, to winter, to spring. The passing of days meant nothing to me anymore. I was numb. I was dead. My heart still pumped blood through my veins and air still passed though my lungs, but it was like my soul had been ripped out. I was just a body, empty, devoid of all emotion. I just didn't care anymore.

In the beginning I was back in my tent with chains around my wrists and a collar around my neck. There were two guards with me at all times. Slowly, as they began to see my compliance, the restrictions were taken off. Again, I was allowed to walk the camp freely. Though, I rarely exercised that freedom.

I would sometimes see Jason around the camp. He would just flash me a knowing smirk. He came to...visit me in my tent a few times, to finish what he started. I won't get into details with that...I fought at first, but there was no point. There was nothing I could do.

It was like I was lost in a never-ending nightmare. Nothing ever got better, it only got worse.

That flame of hope that had once burned clear and true in my heart was now firmly and irrevocably extinguished. My life was in a horrid, painful rut and there was nothing I could do about it.

I was sitting in my tent when I heard someone yell outside, "Everyone, get ready to head out! The mutts are planning an attack!"

Everybody began to run around in no understandable order. After much chaos the entire camp had shifted and was now standing in perfect rows. Danny, Gage, and Jason stood in front of the pack of hairy beasts with their hands behind their backs.

"Our informant has notified us of an impending attack," said Danny "They will come from the north. They were planning on taking us by surprise here in our camp." He snickered at this. "We will intercept them and take them down. Don't hesitate to kill."

Gage ran into my tent and grabbed my arm, wrenching me to my feet.

"We're going to be fighting today, pup. For real this time. You will fight and you will obey every order or there will be...consequences." He grinned evilly at me.

"Yes sir." I replied in a dead tone.

"Good, you'll be in my team. Let's go." He dragged me out of the tent.

"Get into your teams," ordered Danny. "Gage's team will take them from the west, Jason from the east; me and my team will meet them head on. Move out!"

Everyone that wasn't already in their wolf forms phased and ran off after their designated leaders.

"You better not screw this up," Gage growled at me.

I nodded my head and followed him into the forest.

* * * *

Gage stopped and crouched low. He swished his reddish-brown tail in the signal for us to do the same. We laid and waited in silence.

I felt the paws pounding against the ground before I saw the large pack of wolfs running through the trees.

We hid in the brush as the feet of the wolf pack passed us in a blur.

At a sharp bark from Danny, Gage sprung and landed on the back of one of the wolves, digging his talon-like claws deep into the wolf's skin. We could hear the surprised whine as the wolf was thrown onto the ground. The rest of the team sprung as well, landing on the closest victim. I followed their example and jumped into the frenzy. Finding the closet wolf that didn't smell like us, I attacked.

I leapt onto his back and grabbed into the scruff of his neck. He whipped and whirled but I held on tight. He flipped onto his back, crushing me under him. My hold weakened as the breath was knocked out of my lungs and he took the opportunity to pin me down. His paws restrained my shoulders as his snarling jaws remained hesitantly suspended over my throat.

His reluctance to kill was apparent, but I wasn't about to give him the time to change his mind. I rolled sideways throwing him off balance. Pain shot through me as his claw ripped through my ear. A few trickles of blood rolled down my face and across my muzzle. I lunged forward and grabbed his leg in my teeth, mixing his blood with the blood still flowing from my ear. His teeth slashed at my neck but I ignored the pain and bit harder, feeling my teeth meet the bone. He cried out in pain and tried to pull away. I let go and watched him run into the forest, hobbling on his injured leg.

My entire body was throbbing in pain. My lungs felt as if the air had been sucked out of me with a shop-vac. I tried to take deep steady breaths praying I wouldn't pass out.

Just as I began to recover, something barreled into my back, throwing me to the ground. I bucked, making the wolf tumble off of me. My pain was all but forgotten as I stood to face him. The white now-blood-stained fur on my back stood strait up as I snarled at my enemy. He whipped around and faced me, his jowls in the same fearsome expression as mine. I stared into his eyes, preparing for his next attack.

'Wait a second. I know those eyes...'

I recognized their emerald green that now shimmered with determination. I recognized the deep cerulean blue flecks that made his eyes look faceted, like gems.

They were the eyes I would always go to when I was upset or hurt. They were the eyes I looked to for guidance. They were the eyes that I had known and trusted for so many years. They were the eyes I thought I had lost forever. And now those eyes were right in front of me.

I knew those eyes...but it was impossible...it couldn't be....