Werewolf Forest::Chapter 25

Hey everybody! Long time no see! Welll I'll just get right to it, Enjoy Chapter 25!

~ALex

The library was small, but it was packed with shelf after shelf of books. Some were old and worn, their binding beginning to fray. Their titles were inscribed in golden or black calligraphy into the cloth-like covers. They were in foreign languages, making the writing on the spine seem all the more enchanting. Some were even in odd pictographs that I couldn't begin to make out. Other books were newer, in their shiny plastic covers, and far less interesting to me.

I was stuck there with Connor as he did his work for the pack. Andrew had revoked his vouch, but Connor had stepped in and given his own. I hadn't seen Andrew since, except for the passing glance in the house. Though even then, the pass was so brief that I was unsure I had seen him at all.

"Maggie," I looked over to Connor. He held a stack of papers in his hands, ready to be reviewed and debated by the council. "I need to take these downstairs. You can sit with Cece if you'd like. I might be a while."

I nodded and followed him to the infirmary. As I sat down next to Cece's bed Connor whispered something to the nurse. She looked at me, hesitation and worry in her eyes. No doubt, she feared I would escape and the blame would be put on her. She eyed me curiously as Connor left. I met her gaze and she looked away quickly, embarrassed at being caught staring.

"Hey Maggie." My eyes snapped back to Cece. Her eyes were half-open, one still purple and swollen slightly. The cuts were almost gone now, small, fading pink lines in their place. She looked tired and weak, as if the life had been sucked out of her.

"How are you feeling?" I sat on a stool and grasped her cold hand in mine. It was so small and fragile, like the hand of a china doll, delicate, cold porcelain.

"I'm alright," she whispered. "A little sore here and there, but I'll live. I heard about the council's decision." Cece looked at me sympathetically.

"Yeah. Looks like I'll be singing Jail House Rock for a least a little while longer." She choked on a laugh and dry, throaty coughs began to rack her small frame. I helped her sit up and gave her the glass of water that was sitting on the bedside table. "Are you ok?" I asked.

"I'm fine... The nurse said they did some damage to my lungs and throat, but it should heal up in a few days."

"Ah the perks of being a mythical creature! At least there is one." I said sarcastically.

"This coming from the girl who can fly and deflect a speeding bullet. You have nothing to complain about, Super-girl." I chuckled, a smile coming to my lips for the first time in quite a while. "The nurse said I could get up today, you know, as long as I have someone with me. It must be boring hanging around Connor all day. That guy is all work, no play. We could go for a run, or go into town, or-"

"You need rest Cece. We'll have time to do all that when your better."

She looked down, sadness in her eyes. "Will we?" She looked out the window, staring at nothing.

"You should get some sleep," I advised.

"No...no...I'm fine." She mumbled, her eyes drooping.

"Mmhm..." Beep. I pressed the medication button, sending sedatives thought her veins.

"Really...I'm..." Beep. She lay back onto the bed, her eyes fighting to stay open, but her heavy lids winning out. "Fine..." Beep. She slipped into blissful unconsciousness and I set the button down. I sat there, holding her hand as she slept. I listened to the calming beat of her heart, the only noise in the silence.