Werewolf Forest::Chapter 36

Recap:

“I think I’m going to go for a run before I go to bed,” Said Andrew, stretching his arm across his chest. “Wanna join me?”

“No thanks,” I said. “There’s something I want to take care of. Do you know where Kyle’s bags are?”

“Yeah, they’re in my room.”

“Ok good. And can you look something up for me when you get back?” I pulled a pen out of my pocket and wrote Ronald and Sarah Loder on his arm. “I mean there’s a computer somewhere around here right?”

“Yeah, I’ll take care of it. But I don’t understand, what’s going on?” He looked down at the names on his arm quizzically.

“There are some things I need to figure out. Some promises I need to keep. I’ll explain later, I gotta go,” I ran up the stairs and into Andrew’s room. 

*** *** *** ***

“You guys should have this too,” I said, pulling the picture of Sophie, Kyle, and Anna out of my pocket. I handed it to Sophie. Her chin twitched as she traced Kyle’s face with the tip of her finger.

She wrapped an arm tighter around Anna. “Thank you…” she whispered.

“Look Mommy! It’s you and Daddy!” Anna said, pointing at the picture in her mother’s hand.

“Yes sweetheart, and that’s you,” Sophie pointed to Anna in the picture. Anna squinted at it, then smiled and giggled. “Now go wash up Anna, I’m going to make dinner soon”

Anna looked over at me expectantly. “Can Maggie stay Mommy? I like her.”

“I really should be going actually,” I said standing up.

“But you’ll come visit me, right Auntie Maggie?” She looked up at me so adoringly. I smiled at her calling me ‘Auntie’. I looked over at Sophie. She nodded and I took that to mean I should say yes.

“Yeah, I’ll come visit you Anna.”

“Yay!” She jumped up and down, clapping her hands. She ran past us and clomped up the stairs, her hands still clapping away and her laughter filling the air like the chiming of silver bells.

The old woman led me to the door. “You can call me Louise, by the way.” She said. “I hope you do come visit. I know my daughter would love to talk with you about Kyle. And Anna has really taken to you.” 

“I will,” I promised.

Chapter 36

“Are you going to tell me where we’re going or not?” Asked Davo. He sat in the passenger side of the Jeep Connor lent to me again, arms crossed in frustration.

“If I haven’t already, do you really think I’m going to?” It had been almost a month, so my arm was fully healed, as was Davo. He had announced his decision to leave a week or two ago, and Connor let him know there was always a place for him at the pack, and that he was part of our family wherever he went. But Connor had insisted he stay for a while more, until they were sure his injuries were all healed, and he could get him some provisions for his trip, wherever he decided to go. So Davo decided to stay until everything was in order and our injuries were reduced to scars of a past dark age. I had only found the right address a few days before that anyway, so his decision to wait had helped. I had to call several homes before I found the right one. The final loose ends were being tied together, the last stories finally having a conclusion.

The GPS in the Jeep beeped in its monotone voice, “Your destination is on the right.”