Werewolf Forest::Chapter 21

Go, read away my little druggies! =P

~Alex

* * * * * * * * * * *

The steps creaked as Andrew, Gunner, and I descended them. I could hear the faint shuffling of the old, worn mattresses as Davo got up to see who was visiting him in this dismal place. His face lit up as he saw me, but then fell again in confusion. Gunner unlocked the door and let me go inside, locking it again behind me. Andrew came over to the bars.

"Are you sure about this Maggie?" he eyes kept flashing from me to Davo, who was standing close behind me.

"Yes, I'm sure. Don't worry, I'll be fine."

"Alright...Just call up if you need anything ok?"

"Ok. Night Andrew."

"Night Maggs..." He hesitated, not wanting to leave, but forced himself away from the bars and quickly walked up the rickety stairs before he could change his mind. Gunner shook his head before following after him, closing the door with a click that reverberated about the concrete walls.

"Uh...Pix?" I turned around to see Davo staring at me. One of his eyebrows was scrunched down over one eye while the other one was lifted up, making the forehead above it crinkle. His steel-gray eyes flickered from me to the staircase and back again, a quizzical look flooding his them. "What just happened? Why are you down here again?"

I walked over to the mattresses and sat on one, crossing my legs and leaning back on my hands. "Andrew and I made a deal."

"What kind of deal?" He was skeptical, that was easy to see. He stayed where he was showing no signs he was going to move any time soon, as he stared at me.

"Well, since he won't vouch for you too, we came to a comprise. I'll stay up there in the land of the living during the day and down here with you at night."

"But...what? Why would you want to be down here?"

"You don't think I would leave you in a dungeon all alone did you? What kind of friend do you think I am?" I placed a hand to my heart, feigning hurt.

"Look, I'm fine. You don't have to be down here." He sat beside me on the mattress, making the dent I had made in the scratchy, stained material deeper.

"Well, you need company at some point don't you? I'd come down to visit anyway, so what's the difference?" I laid back and stretched my arms under my head, uncrossing my legs so I was more comfortable.

"Pix, just...just stay upstairs. I'll be fine." He lay down too, rolling on his side so he could face me. "Plus, I don't think your boyfriend," he spat the word like a curse and grimaced at the sound of it. "Likes the idea of you spending the night down here anyway."

I propped myself up on my elbows so I could look down at Davo. "He's not my boyfriend." The words came out weaker than I had intended. Almost a whisper, so unlike the strong and sure words I had thought.

"Oh, really? The way he looks at you says otherwise." He seemed so sure in his assessment that I almost believed him. "Come on, you can't be that blind to not see it. That guy's in love with you and you know it."

That day in the woods came flashing back to me at full force. 'I love you Maggs. I always have...' I shook my head to be rid of the memory, but couldn't stop the feeling of pure ecstasy that had filled me when we had kissed that day. I shook my head again, knowing that remembering it was pointless and would only end up hurting me. "He'll get over it." I looked down at the mattress, tracing the multi-colored stains absent mindedly.

"Get over it? It sounds like you talking about some kind of disease."

"Love is a disease." The words came out low and under my breath but Davo heard them anyway.