Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Nolan

       I didn't know why, but I suddenly had a bad feeling about Jerome. Call it a sixth-sense or whatever, but I had a really strong feeling something was wrong. It could be because of the fact that he wasn't answering any of my texts or calls.

       Orchid suddenly walked into my room, carrying an armful of dressed and dropping them on my bed. I didn't even really care about why she did that. "Should I be worried if Jerome is answering my texts or calls?" I asked. "I mean, it's not like he's in school right now and I'm ninety-nine percent sure he doesn't have dance rehearsal and even if he does, he normally answers anyway. Am I clingy? I feel like I'm being clingy."

      Orchid snorted. "Yeah, you're asking the person who doesn't know Jerome as well as you do and has never been in a relationship. All that aside, I need your help picking out a dress for the winter formal tonight."

       I raised an eyebrow and sat up from my laying-down position on my bed. "Okay, two things. One, you usually pick out your dress, like, a week in advance. And two, why on earth would you ask me to help when you can ask Mom."

       "Uh, because you're gay," Orchid said.

       "Uh....You do realize that just because I'm gay, it doesn't mean I'm feminine, right?"

       "Really?"

       "Yes, really. Don't be so close-minded. You know me, Orchid. I don't really have a sense for fashion."

       Orchid sighed and sat on the edge of my bed. "Okay, the truth is I really want to make a good impression on the dance and I would rather have your advice than Mom's because she will be blowing things out of proportion a lot more than I know you will."

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

       "Well....I now Atticus will be there and I was kind of hoping I would choose a dress that he would like...."

       "Are you....are you finally accepting the fact that you like Atticus?" I asked.

       Orchid sighed. "Come on, you and I both know that I do. And I know even thought you tease me a lot, you wouldn't start fangirling like Mom, who would then tell Grandpa, who would then go on and on about a wedding. You saw what they did to Ryder and Mae."

       "Yeah, and what they're doing to me and Jerome," I said. "And speaking of, he still isn't answering my calls. Should I be worried? I feel like I should be worried."

       "I'm sure he's fine," Orchid said. "He's probably just napping or something."

       "Yeah, you're probably right," I said, placing my phone on the nightstand beside my bed. "So, show me the dressed you got."

       I wasn't really that much of a help. For one thing, all the dresses looked the same to me and I didn't really know which one she would make a good impression with or whatever. And for another, I kept checking my phone, waiting for Jerome's reply.

       After the dozenth time of me picking up my phone, Orchid snorted. "If you're really worried about him, then just go to the apartment," she said. "It's a five minute walk and you're not that much help anyway. I'll just text Elizabeth and see what she thinks."

       "Sweet, I could get out of this," I said, getting off of my bed while holding my cell phone. "You know, if Atticus really does like you, he isn't going to care what you wear. Just wear your favorite dress and that will be a good enough impression."