Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Jerome

       There was a knocking on the bedroom door which woke me up from my sleep. I opened my eyes, noticing that I was resting my head on Nolan's lap. I looked up and saw that he was sleeping as well.

       My bedroom door opened and Ryder walked in, his eyebrows furrowed. "What's wrong?" I asked in a groggy voice.

       "Is Nolan sleeping?" Ryder asked, ignoring my question.

       "No, his eyes are closed and he's not moving because he's awake," I said sarcastically.

       Ryder didn't even roll his eyes at me. He just asked if I could wake Nolan up, so I sat up and gently shook Nolan awake. Nolan rubbed his eyes before looking at me, then Ryder. "What time is it?" Nolan asked.

       "A bit past ten," Ryder said.

       "Oh," Nolan said. "I was supposed to be home at ten. Is that why you look like that? Did Dad tell you to tell me to go home?"

       "Uh, no, he actually said you could spend the night here if you want," Ryder said.

       Nolan furrowed an eyebrow. "What? But....it's a weeknight. He wouldn't even let me stay until eleven."

       "Yeah, I know," Ryder said. "But....Dad's at the hospital now. Grandpa Gary was in a really bad argument with Uncle Graeme over the phone and he got a heart attack and....he didn't make it."

       Nolan was silent for a bit. "Grandpa Gary is...."

       Ryder nodded. "Yeah."

       "Oh...." 

       "I know we don't have a good relationship with him. In fact, we all think he's a d-bag, but...."

       "He's still our grandpa," Nolan finished. "I mean, was. Even if he didn't approve of me."

       "Yeah," Ryder said. "Dad said you can stay home from school tomorrow. That's why he's letting you sleep over if you want."

       "Okay," I said.

       Ryder left the bedroom, closing the door behind him. "You okay?" I asked Nolan.

      "Yeah," Nolan said. "It's just....shocking, I guess. We didn't get along with him and I was certain he hated us, but he is --was still our blood relative."

       "You going to go to the funeral?" I asked.

       Nolan nodded. "I think so, yeah. I mean, when we were younger, we did have a somewhat better relationship with him. He wasn't acting like he did now towards us. It was as we grew older because I think he started to see our dad in us and they don't really get along, so....Would it be disrespectful if you came to the funeral with me?"

       "Why would it be?" I asked.

       "I don't know. He wasn't a supporter of the LGBT and he didn't like the fact that I have a boyfriend."

       "So? I'll be there supporting you."

       "You really will come with me?"

       "Yeah, of course," I said.

       Nolan smiled. "Thanks."

       "Anything for my boo," I said. "Now I have a question. Why are you here? I literally do not remember you coming here at all. Come to think of it, I don't remember much. The last thing I remember is telling Ryder and Mae and I'm going to get some groceries."

       "Yeah, I came here because you weren't answering my calls and texts and I was worried," Nolan said. "You weren't here. But then you showed up, so all is well that ends well."

       "But....Why don't I remember that?"

       "Because you drank apple juice."

       "Huh?"

       "And apparently, you're a mind-reader."

       "....No."

       "Oh, yes."

       I sighed and rested my head back on the bed frame. "On a scale of one to ten, how drunk was I?"

       Nolan shrugged. "Don't know. I haven't really seen you, or anyone, drunk before. Well, I saw Ryder one time, but it didn't last too long because my dad kicked me upstairs so he could get mad at Ryder."

       "But on a scale?"

       "Uh....I'd say, I don't know, seven? You couldn't walk straight, you were denying that you were drunk, but then you called me cute for wearing your sweater and that you would do when you're sober, so...."

       I looked at the sweater Nolan was wearing. "Hey, that is my sweater. I was looking for that. Did you steal it?"

       "No. It's mine."

       "Did you steal it?"

       "No. I gave it to myself."

       "That's....not how it works."

       "I still want it."

       "Then you ask for it."

       Nolan curled his bottom lip into a pout. "But then you'd say no."

       "Not if you give me that pout," I said. "Can you, I don't know, not be so cute?"

       "Nope. I'm so cute."

       I snorted. "Arrogant too."

       "Come on. I'm the least arrogant in my family. I'm the only sane one."

       "That's actually true. So, want to watch a movie? Or make out? Preferably the second one."

       "You know," Nolan said. 'I'm kind of i the mood to watch a movie. Only watch a movie."

       "You're a cold one, Nolan."

       "Thank you, I try."

_______________

Sorry for the short chapter. cx But....Yeah. Is it weird that I feel bad for killing Gary off, even though I hate his guts?

I'm always like that. I want a character to die or leave but once they do, I'm like, "Nooooo come back." Like in Hollyoaks. One of my most hated characters is either leaving or being killed off I think next week and I've been waiting for him to die or leave but now that he is, I want him to stay. cx Even when he killed one of my favorite characters. Help me.

And omg, you know Nolan is Poppy's son when he gives himself his boyfriend's sweater. (Poppy gave herself Grayson's clothes all the time)(2-3 lines in here are the exact same lines Grayson and Poppy said omg I miss them)