Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Nolan

       I wasn't paying attention in class, like always. I couldn't pay attention. My mind was always elsewhere and it was getting up to the point where all my teachers started calling on me during every class just to see if I was paying attention.

       I never was.

       I didn't even think if I could handle being at school for the rest of the day. There was no point if I wasn't going to be paying attention.

       When the teacher wasn't looking, I grabbed my cell phone and began texting Jerome.

       Someone cleared their throat and I looked up, seeing my teacher standing there. "You know the drill, Nolan," Mr. Garland said. "If you're caught text in class, I get to read your messages in front of the class."

       "I was just seeing if someone could pick me up," I said. "I'm not feeling well."

       However, Mr. Garland didn't let me get away with it. He never did. In fact, he was the reason I ended up coming out at school because he just had to read my messages out loud.

       Funny, because I've seen him use his phone before in class.

       Mr. Garland just held out his hand. I didn't really care this time. The class was just going to be bored listening to the conversation.

       But before I could give Mr. Garland my phone, there was a sudden curse of, "Shit!" which averted everyone's attention.

       Mr. Garland looked over at the source so I quickly locked my phone and put it in my pocket. It turned out to be Atticus, who was holding his pointer finger "Fuck, that hurts," Atticus said.

       "Atticus, mind telling me why you're cursing in the middle of class?" Mr. Garland asked.

       "I accidentally closed one of my binder rings on my finger," Atticus said. "It hurts like hell. Shit, I think I'm going to lose my finger."

       "Okay, I understand you're in pain, but I do not tolerate cursing," Mr. Garland said.

       "No shit, I think I've heard you say that plenty of times, and I can see the sign by the board," Atticus said. "You could at least be more fucking sympathetic to one of your students who could lose his finger."

       "Alright, then go to the nurse and afterwards, go to the principal's office," Mr. Garland said.

       "My pleasure," Atticus said sarcastically before packing all of his stuff then leaving the classroom.

       Because of all that, Mr. Garland forgot that I was texting, so he went back to the front of the classroom to continue teaching.

       When the class ended, it was lunch time meaning I was able to leave the school. I first went to my locker to drop off my things, then I started walking to the front doors. Right by the front doors was the office and Atticus was sitting on one of the chairs, waiting to go inside.