Chapter 20

"After an epix street battle with the Reverse Flash, our city's very own Scarlet Speedster disappeared in an explosion of light," Barry read the article in front of us.

"Barry, look at the date," Caitlin told him.

"April 25th, 2024," he gasped, "Guys, when I fought the Reverse Flash at Christmas, he said that we'd be fighting for centuries."

"Wait, you can't really think that this is from the future," I turned to Barry.

"That would mean Dr. Wells or whoever he is, is also..." Cisco started.

"From the future," Barry finished.

"I have to say, I'm really digging the brighter red suit. And the white on the symbol? That's dope," Cisco commented, "Wait a second. Suppose we now change your suit. Will it be because we got the idea from this picture? That would mean we're living in a causal nexus.

Cisco rambled on about this whole situation being trippy as I got closer to the article and my heart dropped to my stomach when I read the byline and Caitlin read over my shoulder.

"Not as trippy as the name on the byline," she answered.

"Iris West-Allen?" Barry asked confused.

"Mazel tov?" Cisco asked.

"Hebrew," a robotic voice said making the article disappear and I jumped back as the room spoke to us, "Ancient language of the Jewish people."

"Uh-uh. What the hell was that?" Cisco said as we all backed up looking around the room.

"Is someone here?" Barry asked, "Hello?"

"Good evening, Barry Allen," the voice answered when a robotic face popped up where the article was.

"Uh hi. You know who I am?" He asked looking at us before answering.

"Barry Allen, director of Central City Police, CSI Division," she answered.

"Director?" He asked.

"I guess you get a promotion," Cisco shrugged.

"Also know as the Flash. Founding member of..." She went on as we walked forward and Barry cut her off.

"What are you?" He asked.

"I am Gideon, an interactive artificial consciousness," she answered.

Cisco chuckled, "AI. Sick."

"You know Dr. Wells?" I asked.

"Yes," Gideon answered simply.

"Do you know who he really is?" Barry asked.

"I don't understand the question," she said.

"I..I mean what is he doing here? Why did he come here?" He continued putting his hands on his head.

Gideon's head soon became an entire body, "To kill you."

Cisco's tablet buzzed, "Wells is in the building."

"How do you know that?" Caitlin asked.

"I put a tracker on his wheelchair," Cisco sighed, "Which, if we're wrong about him and he is paralyzed, I'm going to hell for that one. He's in the cortex. Ask questions fast."

"Why did he kill Nora Allen?" Barry asked.

"Because he was angry," Gideon answered.

"About what?" he asked.

"That you escaped," she said.

"He's on B level. He's coming this way," Cisco warned.

"What does he want from me?" Barry went on.