Chapter 3 - Jacey

"I didn't plan on waiting out here for this long. I do have things I need to get done also." His cockiness filled his face as his arms were folded across his chest as he pushed off the trailer door. For once, I was glad to spot John there already... waiting and pissed... but he was there.

My dad's text came as that damn teacher snatched my test away from me when I was just trying to ask him a question. That was my first mistake. To ask Sergei a question was something I tried desperately to avoid. For the past two weeks, I didn't want to talk to him at all, didn't want to look at him if I didn't have to, and didn't want to be alone with him if it were possible. Any small hint would give it away that I wasn't Jacki and I couldn't risk our switch to get out. So far, two weeks and no one noticed, though a few looks Sergei had given me last Friday, I was sure he figured me out.

"I need to do this. Tobey sleeping?" As I walked past the older farm hand, I bumped into him with my shoulder as I went to the side tack door of the trailer. With my dad being gone until after supper, I had the perfect chance to get this horse out and see how well he does around traffic and chaos. Risky, but he needed it and I needed to know where he stood for when I had to sell him.

"He was drooling over a few girls on the track team that came running by a half hour ago. I'm sure he's in there having a moment to himself over the sight." John smirked as he flipped the latch to the lock and opened the end door. The black gelding let out a loud scream as his hoof pawed out his warning.

"Having a moment, huh?" Ignoring the horse's anger, I stepped in nudging the smaller golden mare to the side. "What would he possibly need a moment for after watching some prissy girls jog past?"

The snort came out loud as the large black head pushed against me and I grunted under my breath grabbing ahold of the handle where his rope was tied. With anyone else, this horse shied away or got nasty with. Me? He loved to test the waters with me, but with this particular horse, I could get him to do some amazing footwork that I've never gotten another one to do before. If I could only get a little more time to tighten up his foot work, he would be perfect.

"You have no clue, do you?" Walking in, John unhooked the red rope from the Palomino's halter and walked her out quickly before he upset the other traveler. "I will spell it out for you seeing as you are a prude."

A shiver shot through my spine as I straightened up my shoulders and looked at him. Why would he need to spell that out for me? Tobey wasn't as old as John, nor as good looking, but he was more timid and shy. How could he not be? Tobey was only five-foot-seven and stocky. It wasn't like the girls were knocking down his door and it had to be his height which prevented that.

"Don't even give me that look Miss Twenty-Two-Year-Old-Virgin." Clicking his tongue, the dark haired taller man walked the golden horse around the parking lot allowing her stretch her legs to prepare for the ride back to the farm.

My breath caught in my throat as I looked at his deep set mocha eyes. Was he serious? Did he just say what I thought I heard him say? I wasn't that much of a prude. Horses were my thing. Not Jacki's, but I preferred the company of a horse over a man. Seeing how my sister went through the men, I would rather the less drama and complications, unwanted pregnancies, or STD's. It wasn't that I didn't want a man, I just had more priorities in my life and if I had the time, maybe I would. But I didn't. I didn't have any extra time between working and school.

Then there was that damn teacher. Mr. Smirnov, that professor with the sexy smile who I was beginning to really hate... If he just wasn't so damn gorgeous. But the way he was to me today, I didn't want to go back to the class and look at him again. Not after how he snatched that test from me when all I had was a question to ask him.