Chapter 14 - Jacey

There wasn't anything else to do except for working in my office and listen to the clinking of the rain on the window. Since that night I slept with Sergei, I hadn't seen him since. As for class, I missed due to the abundance amount of rain we had been getting for the past couple days.

I tugged open the cramp-packed drawer and pulled the stacks of photographs out, flipping through them. The very last one, I stopped at the brown animal whose head was hanging low and there wasn't an ounce of life in his heart. Hot tears came to my eyes as I ran my finger down her scraggly black mane hoping someone was able to do something with her.

Tucking it up on the corkboard I had above my desk, I took in a deep breath allowing that horse to fill into my heart. If there was ever a chance to get her back, I would take it. But this was my father's business and I had to obey his business rules. Horses were the means of putting food on our table and paying for the nicer things. Keeping a horse that is no good wasn't bringing in anything.

In a sense he was right, though what harm would it do if there was another horse on the farm? Even broken, they still needed to know someone was there to love them.

As I looked at the photo again, my heart sank deep into my chest. Sergei seemed a lot like that horse. Broken. Scared. Sad. But, he was coming around and I could tell that when I looked at him. His eyes were bright blue and cloud-free from losing the alcohol dependency. It was hard, but he was working through it, just like the man I could see hiding underneath the cover.

Some horses were just broken. Some were broken to the point of no repair. And some horses, were just lost. Sergei was lost until I found him. And I am glad I took the chance and started something he had to finish. My heart was happy, full, and content. As for my office, it was getting there... slowly.

Closing my eyes, the thoughts of Sergei passed through my mind. The amazing night together was something I never imagined could happen. The way he made me feel, the jolts of electricity that shot through my body by his simplest touches were something I didn't know could actually happen. I read some books, but they were all fake and nothing was really like that, per Jacki's qualms. But, Sergei was amazing on how he knew right what I needed and how to get me to follow his command.

The rain pelted on the window even harder and the buzzing was shoving the moment away. The buzzing...

My heart jump hard and my breath shot out of my chest. My phone. He was probably trying to call me. By the time I found it under the heap of paperwork, it stopped. Though, I did have a text message.

Sergei: Go to the movie theater by nine. No questions.

Nine? That was in an hour.

Running up to my room, I dug through my closet and grabbed a pair of jeans, a long sweater, and the boots that I have been wearing to class. I showered quickly and dressed. Rushing out the door, I went to the city and straight to the movie theater. Going inside, my heart raced wondering how we would be able to manage to get into a movie together. And what movie?

"Jay, you look beautiful." The deep Russian accent vibrated through my body as I turned around seeing a big guy with black hair and blue eyes just like Sergei. The man who came to look at Cobalt was his brother!

Smiling, I wrapped my arms around him now understand who he was. And I never did thank him for doing what he did that day for me and Sergei. "How are you doing?"

"A weekend to come home and see my brother. It is good." Nodding, he offered me his arm and winked. "I am looking forward to the movie of your choice."