Chapter 15 - Jacey

The morning light poured through the window before I even realized it. I had fallen asleep and it wasn't until the scent of coffee lofted up through the floor that I realized I did. Pulling myself out of bed, I managed to knock my phone onto the floor. Picking it up, I rubbed my eyes and felt my heart sinking into my still sour stomach seeing five text messages from the man who kissed another woman just minutes after surprising me with a movie.

Sergei: Where are you?

Sergei: Please, answer me.

Sergei: Do not think that it is what it looks like.

Sergei: Please, love. I need to talk to you.

Sergei: She is my ex. I do not want her. I am sick over this. Please, just let me know that you are safe.

The hot tears had rolled down my face as my stomach knotting again. My fingers typed messing up some words because of the blurred sheeting over them. The imprint was fresh in my mind and there was nothing there to wash it away. He left me just to kiss some beautiful blonde in the parking lot.

Me: I am home. Nothing to worry about. I have chores to do.

Just as I tossed my phone onto my bed, the screen lit instantly notifying me that he responded just like that. Did I want to know anything more than what was said? He was my teacher and I was messing around with him. And sleeping with the teacher could get me kicked out of school. Then what? My father would never allow me back into the house if that happened. Maybe it was for the best that I didn't see Sergei until I was done with school. But, that would be impossible since I had a class with him three days a week.

Sergei: I am sorry you had to see that. I do not want you to be upset. I love you, and only you. Please, forgive me.

I read over his text three times just to make sure I read it right and wasn't just dreaming it. When I crossed the room, I misjudged the corner of my dresser and my little toe separated from my foot. Biting back a scream, the hot tears trickled down my face and I looked over the text again. And is said that he loved me.

Me: You broke my heart last night. It hurt. It really hurt.

Sergei: As it did me too. I laid here all night, not being able to sleep, praying for you to forgive me. I do not want to risk your future, but not being with you is too hard. I must see you again. I'm in love with you already.

Feeling the pain taking over, I laid back down crying as hard as I could. There was a man that was so worried about my future and he was already in love with me, too.

I hope that he was. I hope that it wasn't some big joke to him. Jacki always found the guys who used I love you as a pickup line, and I've seen her devastated a time or two over it. I just hoped Sergei wasn't just using it as some line for me.

But there was something strong between us. Something that I never heard my sister talk about before. Since I ran into him in the hall, that connection must have triggered something more than anyone could explain.

I couldn't stop thinking about him. I couldn't stop looking at him. Since that first class, he consumed my heart, just like the horse I saved. Letting go was not going to be easy, but seeing him with another woman was by far, the worst thing I've experienced in my life to date.

Sergei: I do not want to break your heart. Her yes, you no. I do not want her. I do not. You are my life, my heart.

Picking up my phone, I gritted my teeth as I typed. One should never type in anger because the answer would always hurt. I learned that from my ever so wise sister. But, I sent the stupid message anyway. If he decided to walk away, it would be for the best. I didn't want either one of us getting in trouble for something that never should have happened in the first place.