Chapter 18 - Jacey

Two weeks and I learned how to control the sickness. My first appointment would be after the new year and I couldn't wait. I couldn't wait to see or hear the life that was inside of me. Spending as much time as I could with Sergei, I felt like we were complete. We were together and he had the biggest habit of putting his hand on my belly when we were just snuggled up by the fireplace. My love for him just grew... inside of me too.

The snow was thick and heavy making the holiday more special, but Sergei wasn't there to be with me since my parents just returned home.  I ad to tell them, but I needed to figure out how. If my parents weren't too upset over the fact that I was pregnant, maybe they would let him come around to see the man that was head over heels in love with me, that he was there for everything.

The scent of the ham and the fixings hit me when I stepped into the kitchen. My mom was looking beautiful in her red sweater and her black pants while she had busied herself with dinner. Tobey and John were in my dad's office talking about the up-coming spring with the three new horses that I had chosen. Yes, my dad hadn't seen the three yet, but at least they were there and looked good. John had even said so.

My stomach turned instantly and I covered my mouth quickly. Running to the bathroom, I threw up. When I finished, I quickly brushed my teeth washing away the nasty breath and stepped out, my chest tightened as my mom stared at me.

The anger was deep in her face as the pain in her eyes. "I could have thought that Jacki would be the one to be this stupid."

"I'm sorry, mom..." Pulling the chair out, I had taken a seat feeling the tears swelling in my eyes. So much for the happiness of my parents.

"What were you thinking?" Rubbing her forehead, she cursed under her breath. Her and her cursing had become friends only when my sister had done something stupid. "You know better."

"I haven't been sleeping around." That was all I could come up with? Of course I had been sleeping with a man, but at least it wasn't with a few of them. Sergei and I had been together and he was the only one that I had been with.

"Apparently you were! Jay! How in the hell did you think that you got pregnant?" Her scream was louder than I thought because it had gotten the attention of the three guys in the office and my sister in the living room.

"What in the hell is going on here?" The thunderous voice come barreling into the kitchen with my dad's face as red as could be. His hazels were fired with rage as he looked at me. "Did I just hear..."

"She's pregnant!" My mother pointed at me like I just told her that I had been infected with some sort of disease. My mother had always talked about if Jacki had gotten pregnant, what it would be like and she wouldn't mind having a grandchild. So, what was so different with me being the one who got pregnant?

His lips pressed tight together. The steam was rolling out of his ears. Why couldn't they just be happy with me? What made me such the bad twin?

The laughter had filled the silent room as Jacki shook her head. "Way to go, sis!"

"What in the world were you thinking? Had I not just given you the talk about being serious in this business?" His hand curled over the back of the chair with his knuckles turning white.

"Damn, she's pregnant. It's not the end of the world." Rolling her hazel eyes, my twin snuck a dinner roll off the table and shoved it into her mouth.

"We will talk about this after dinner." Mom turned to the oven as the timer buzzed. "Let's put this past us and eat."

"Well, now there goes more money! Damn, Jay! How can you be any use to me now? The partnership that I was going to give you for Christmas is over. Done. No more."