Brown Bears

Believe it or not there are two types of brown bears. The first are the Coastal Brown Bears which can be found in one part of Katmai National Park in Alaska. The second are the well known Grizzly Bears who are much larger than their coastal cousins can be found on the other side of Katmai National Park at the waterfall overlook in the spring where they fish for their fill of salmon.

Is your first reaction run when you encounter a bear?
Well if you watch the TV Show: Rock the Park which is a journey through all national Parks within United States, the wildlife experts say running is the last thing you want to do.
The first rule, in not startling a bear is making noise. In some places people use cowbells to help the bears know they are coming. Other places like the National Parks suggest shouting things like Hey bear." I know it sounds weird but some people like shouting that or Don't worry bear."
The issue with running from a bear is that bears are tempted to chase someone who is running like they would chase prey animals.
If you are in situation where a bear comes towards you back up slowly. Yes, I said it walk backwards till you are far enough away from the bear. If you have a choice of uphill or downhill go downhill. Bears are less likely to follow someone who runs downhill rather than someone who runs uphill.
Why?
Gravity.
Gravity is working with a bear when it goes uphill. Whereas gravity causes conflict when a bear runs downhill causing its hind legs to come off the ground toppled over onto its back.
If camping remember to store items that bears might eat in a bear proof container and store it a fair distance from your campsite. Be sure to keep bear spray handy as well. In National Parks like Katmai National Park its the bears who usually break the rules first. If on a tour, the guide will usually escort you and other people to one side of the path depending where the bear seems to headed to let it pass by unthreatened.

It is actually recorded that Thomas Jefferson was sent two grizzly bear cubs that ended up living on the white house gardens. Proof of this can be found in the book called, "Wackiest White House Pets". The cubs were gifts from Lewis & Clark during their expedition.