Rattle Snakes P2

Rattlesnakes have a bad reputation. Many people think of them as dangerous snakes that can kill a person with a single bite from their poisonous fangs. For this reason, they are feared----perhaps even hated.

There is no doubt that rattlesnakes can be dangerous to people. This section will tell of how dangerous a rattlesnake is and how to avoid it.

Rattlesnakes are one of the most fascinating groups of animals on earth.

The same things that make rattlesnakes dangerous also make them wonderful hunters. Their poisonous fangs are probably the most amazing hunting tools found in nature. Rattlesnakes have special ways of tracking prey that might astonish you including a high tech system they use to locate other animals in total darkness!

Rattlers are actually beautiful animals, when you look closely at them (from a safe distance of course). There are more than 30 different kinds, and most of them are decorated with truly elegant patterns and colors.

Rattlesnakes get their name from the rattles on their tails. They are the only snakes that have them. If you look at the rattle on the snake you will see that it is made up of sections. Every year, up to three new sections may be added, until some rattles get very large----with 20 or more sections.

The sound of the rattle can be very loud, and the noise can carry for long distances---up to 60 ft or 18 meters. The main purpose of the rattle might just surprise you. It is used to warn people and large animals to stay away. It seems that the rattlesnakes don't want to run into you as much as you don't want to run into them!

The more you find out about rattlesnakes, the more you will see that they are not evil animals at all. Like lions and tigers, they hunt to survive. It may be hard for people to love rattlesnakes, but we should certainly appreciate them for the wonderful creatures they are.

The body of a rattlesnake is long and rather narrow. Like other snakes, rattlers hunt small animals for food. Usually, they wait alongside trails and catch their prey by surprising it. But sometimes they need to follow the animals into their holes to catch them. Their long, narrow bodies make it easier for them to do this.

At the front end of the body, there is a rather large head, with large eyes and a dangerous mouth. At the back, there is a tail with a rattle on it.