Sea Otters Part 2

A Sea otter's body is even better adapted to life in the water than its cousin's the river otter, because sea otters spend so much more time, almost all of it in the water. Yet, sea otters are less as streamlined as seals, dolphins and other marine mammals.

Sea otters are among the largest members of the otter family. Males grow to just 4 feet long the equivalent of 1.2 meters including the tail. Males can weigh up to about a 100 lbs or weigh about of a German Shepherd. Females are a bit smaller measuring just underneath 4 ft and weighing up to at least 72 lbs the equivalent of 32.6 kilograms

Sea otters have really small ears that give them the ability to hear quite well. Surprising? Yes, sea otters have keen hearing even with those tiny ears. You can see the ears up right, when a sea otter is hanging out on the surface of the water. That means they are alert to any danger and always listening. However, when diving they have their ears pointed down so seawater doesn't get in.
When swimming in the murky waters of the ocean, like walruses sea otters use their whiskers to search for food. The whiskers also help sea otters feel and sense vibrations in the ocean.
For its size, a sea Potter's lung are twice as large as those other mammal. Large lungs give sea otters more oxygen for diving and even help them float better.
Sea otters are both powerful and graceful swimmers. They have large muscles in their hindquarters to help them move forward in the water. They also have strong muscles in their forearms to help them pry off and pound open shellfish.
Not all otters live in the ocean. In fact all, but two otter species live in freshwater. River otters are smaller and less furry than the sea otters. River otters also have longer legs making it easier for them to get around on land.