Three

Layla and I were assigned the same areas of delivery. Which meant we loaded a separate van filled with deliveries to our areas. While we were making our deliveries, I had discovered that Layla was a VERY talkative person. There wasn't a single moment she was not talking about something. Whether it was about the wolves or just about things she missed herself. I learned that she was older than me by exactly five months. I also discovered she was very weird, often having odd outbursts of words and laughter. She was funny nonetheless.

We were delivering another case of produce when we were stopped and given lunch. They sat us down at the half empty back of the van and gave us brown sacks. Our overseer, Fillip, gave us bottles of red liquid and instructed us to hurry and eat.

When we opened our bags, Layla made a happy, squealing sound. She pulled out a sandwich that had meat on it." Oh, my gosh." She mumbled." Is this.... I think it is!" She shouted, she reached back in the bag and pulled out a little packet. She tore it and squeezed it. Red liquid came out. She licked the packet and smiled, offering it to me. I scrunched my face and shook my head. "It's ketchup! Its flavor!" She yelled.

I raised my eyebrows and looked down at my bag. I opened it to find a sandwich with meat that looked like Layla's. I looked to see something white on it. I scrunched my face up and then reached back into the bag and got a packet out. On it, it did say 'Ketchup'. I opened it and put a drop on my hand. I licked it and an explosion flavor made itself home on my taste buds. My eyes widen and I looked at Layla, who was happily eating from a bag that said, 'Cheese Puffs.'. I put the ketchup on my sandwich and took a hesitant bite. I closed my eyes and savored the taste. It brought back memories of lunches spent at daycare over with my mother.

When I opened my eyes, I saw Layla smiling at me." Its good, right?" She asked. She lifted a hand and ran her slender fingers through her hair. I nodded and we both giggled.

I finished eating my food and balled up the bag. We sat there patiently until we remembered we had drinks. We smiled at each other and lifted the bottles to each other. She lifted the drink at the same time I did and took a sip. A sweet taste spread across my taste buds and once again I smiled at the delicious taste I hadn't had in a long time.

Again, we finished and sat there talking. As we continued to sit there I had the creeping feeling I was being watched. So, like any other person would I looked behind me. To see absolutely nothing. I frowned and looked back at Layla who was rambling about the things her parents used to make her. A few minutes later I got that uncomfortable feeling again. Suddenly a guy popped up and scared the two of us.

After sitting there for a longer time overseer Fillip came back and drove to a next stop. When we arrived there we were introduced to a man named Hogarth. When he approached, us I stepped back in fear. He had red eyes and black hair that was turned up in an up do. He had big arms and looked as had snap you in half if you crossed him even the slightest. "Get in the car. "He said, motioning to the small car parked next to us. I Looked at Kayla who was giving Hogarth the evil eye and claimed in.

The car was silent as I sat the farthest away from Hogarth. "You'll be making your final deliveries with me." He explained. I nodded and looked out the window where I saw beautiful homes lining streets. I smiled.

For the rest of the day Layla asked me random questions. Once she even asked me if I had a pet. "No? I think he died when they came to assign our homes." I said.

She frowned, "howdy he dies?"

"He was hit by a car." I said sadly." What about you?" I asked.

"I had a dog. His name was Hogarth. He was the crappiest dog out there." She said. I snorted as Hogarth glared at her." Just kidding! His name was Tots and he was the best dog EVEAH!" She shouted. I smiled. "I had until last year. There was a whole in my house so he fell out the window and SPLAT!" She said. I looked at her sadly.

"I'm so sorry." I said. She shrugged and handed the case to the women at the door.

"Thank You dears. "She said. I smiled at her.

"Your welcome Ma'am." We said in unison.

AS we walked back to the car she shrugged. "It's no big deal." She said and smiled." It was almost his time anyways." She said. I smiled back at her as we got in the car. Again, we road in silence. At first he dropped Layla off. My new friend had looked at me in worry as we she went to her building. I watched as a man took her band of and wiped her stamp off.

The car pulled away as she entered the building. We drove over to my building, Hogarth's eyes on me the whole time. He got out the car and spoke to Max who was waiting patiently. Max nodded his head and Hogarth came and opened my door. He took my hand and helped me out (even though I didn't need any help). We went over to Max and he wiped the stamp away. He left the tracker on and smiled at me. "Have a nice day Lu- Mira." He said, earning a heated glare from Hogarth.

I nodded slowly and walked to the building. As I entered there was a loud howl and I felt as if I was being watched again. Odd.

I made my way to my home and was greeted by worried faces and frantic inspections. "They put me on delivery today." I said. My mother looked at my father and looked as if shed faint. I hadn't seen her this afraid since THAT day.

They stared at me for the longest time before instructing me to eat and go to bed. That night, again, I felt as I was being watched.

(Like,Share,Comment and Share)