Thirty-Two

Head to my profile to read the first revised chapters of King!

"What did I tell you about being so stiff Mira?" Beau asked, moving his body to dodge my attack. I grunted in frustration and swung around, twisting my body and slamming my fist into his side. He groaned slightly and his steps faltered a bit. I smirked and felt a wave of pride wash over my tired body as we circled one another.

He waited for me to spring another assault, I could see it in his eyes. His wolf was ready for an attack and to defend itself. I wasn't afraid, at this point I knew that the internal animal would never hurt me just as much as Beau wouldn't.

"You feelin' okay today Beau Beau? That was pretty sloppy letting my knick you like that." I teased lightly, using the nickname I knew he hated to get a reaction. He growled playfully, eyes glowing.

"Don't expect it often Ami." He teased back, returning an equally irritating nickname to me. In a fit of mock rage I lunged forward, surprisingly knocking him to the ground. He laughed loudly as he held me. I giggled into his neck, feeling eyes of pack members on us as their Alpha indulged in a moment with me.

I pulled back to look into his bright glowing eyes. He returned the favor of eyes looking and loving stares also. My lips meshed with his before I could even realize what was happening. When I pulled away, he looked at me with a now familiar stare of mischief.

"What?"

"You stink." He said and I gasped as he pushed me off of him. He let out a booming laughed as my ears became hot. I stood quickly and kicked him in his leg, earning another playful glare.

"Shu-"

"Alpha! Alpha! Alpha!" A panicked soldier ran quickly up to the two of us and we immediately knew what was happening.

Beau's mood completely changed from playful to serious in a matter of seconds. He turned to me, but a week of back to back attacks groomed me to be prepared for these situations. I gave him a kiss and a quick hug, before taking off to warn pack members to go home.

"Quickly." I said to a mother and her three children. When the pack gathering grounds were nearly empty I bolted towards our house. I quickly locked myself within the safe walls of my home.

With me safely inside, I went up the steps to call Alex and Layla to be sure they were alright. I took comfort at the sound of their calm voices.

"Has the Alpha taken off?" Layla asked, the shrieking children of the orphanage she found herself at, making her speak loudly.

"Yeah. Layla I don't know what we're going to do about all these attacks? More and more people are getting killed!" I voiced with exasperation. My heart was slowly starting to feel for these people, as if they were my own and the past events that caused my dislike beforehand didn't exist.

"I'm sure whatever they are planning is just bluff...they want the King to forfeit something that he clearly doesn't want to give up"

"Mm" I said, considering her words with worry.

I know he wants to murder me. Asthenias has made that evident through his threats and attempts on my life. But what else could they want? The thrown?

We were silent for a few minutes. I just listened to the sound of screaming kids and the faint sound of Layla's humming.

"So." She said suddenly, clearing her throat." Guess what I learned." She sang loudly.