1 0 : m a g i c · a n d · p r i c e

It had been a week since Paris took me to the arena. It had also been a  week since I had last saw him. Lacey and Paige told me that he had to attend to "princely" duties. 

Ever since I had called up the hellfire spell I had learned too long ago, it was harder and harder holding the memories of the past back. I was struggling to concentrate on the romance novel I was currently reading when a wave of intense pain made its presence known in my head and my focus wavered.

At that moment, a memory slipping through a crack and I was pulled into the world of the past. 

~

"-just one more time, my lady," Barros, the instructor urged. I always thought he had a particularly ugly nose- it was crooked from the time my father had punched him. That thought made me puff up a bit in pride. 

Nonetheless, I sent a wave of absolute darkness rolling over the garden, leeching out the life it held. When the darkness abated, almost all of the flowers had withered. I didn't need to be an adult to understand how powerful I was, yet sometimes, I toyed with the idea of trading my magic for a normal life.

"That's my girl," A rough voice noted from behind. I turned to see Barros bowing deeply, "Majesty" He murmured, fear evident in his voice. Despite myself, I couldn't help but smirk at the cowering mage. Perhaps I had inherited some of my father's cruelty. 

The High King of the Fall Realm smiled. His hair could have been described as ebony, falling to his back. It parted slightly at his ears that were pointed at the tips, showing off his Fae heritage. "Mixed breed" had been whispered among the Fall Court, but no one had the balls to spit that word in my father's face. Only once had someone done so, and the result? I'd never seen a body so mutilated, as the man rasped for his last, shuddering breath.

Legends claimed that the King had the coldest ice blue eyes that cut into the soul and a smile so evil it sent even the strongest of men running for the hills. But today, his ice blue eyes glowed with pride and his smile was full of joy for me.

I beamed, "Thank you, daddy."

~

I clenched my teeth as the memory washed over me and pulled me under the blanket of that one night I had tried so hard to forget. Shaking, cursing, and maybe even sobbing, I huddled in a ball, struggling to force the walls back up- and failing. 

"Evelyn. Evelyn. EVELYN." A voice boomed anxiously, sounding far away. "No, Amber, no." I whispered, before it became a cry. My mind flashing through a thousand memories at once. Some good, some bad. 

"Evelyn- look at me." The voice cracked, and maybe that was why I looked up. Concerned dark eyes stared back at me.

"Paris?" I murmured. He gripped my wrists gently, "It's alright, Eve. I'm here," I feebly looked around. Paige and Lacey were standing a few feet away, anxiousness and concern radiating off them. Their eyes crumbling with relief as I blinked back at the twins. They vanished, and I was let with the Prince. 

"Thank you," I whispered, "Thank you." 

He smiled weakly, "Anything for you, beautiful." 

a/n: sorry for the long wait- I was suffering from writer's block. Anyway, I unpublished the chapter before (eve meeting mulan) because I thought that the plot was kinda rushing a bit, and decided to slow things out more. hope you weren't confused