3 4 : m a p s · a n d · a c t i o n

Ella: 

"So, what's your favorite color?" Raymond, eating a forkful of cheesecake. I shrugged, "I always like ocean blue." 

My heart throbbed with each beat without James, but even so, I felt the tiny shards of the my broken heart beginning to heal. I looked down at my plate of fries and sandwich and sighed, nibbling a fry. 

"Well, how did you grow up?" Raymond tried again, attempting to make conversation. I shrugged, licking the spices off my lips, "I grew up wealthy. Then, Mom died and Dad remarried. Dad died and we fell into poverty. Then I met you." 

We fell into an awkward silence before Raymond blurted out, "Tension is brewing between the Realms. War is near." 

I paused mid chew and gritted out, "So will we be at war in a matter of weeks? months?" 

Raymond touched my arm gently, "Please, Ella-"

I snatched my arm away like his touch was poison, "Don't you dare touch me. How can you just sit here on your ass and do nothing when war is at our doorstep?!" 

He bowed his head, as if he were ashamed, "I- There's nothing I can do, Ella." I stood up angrily and began walking away when I stopped and said softly, but with enough venom that it stung, "You are a coward, Raymond." 

Then, I left, my energy spent and my broken heart yearning for James. 

War. War was coming- a war so destructive that the result would destroy humanity.

The Fall Realm, a master of illusions and magic would drive all the Realms mad. With Spring's armies, rivers would run red. Winter's wraith would freeze the world and Summer would bring about a drought. 

I fisted my gown of gossamer and lace angrily, feeling helpless. I couldn't let James' sacrifice be in vain. A heavy knock sounded at my door, and I hopped off the overly soft bed and opened the door. 

Raymond, looking distressed, bit his lips, "Can we talk?" 

I raised an eyebrow, unfazed, "Well, what are we doing right now?" 

He gestured to the inside of the room and I sighed, stepping aside to allow him in. I shut the door and leaned against the wood of the door, "Yes?" 

Raymond ran his fingers through his already disheveled hair and stared into my eyes, "Please understand, Ella, I did everything- am doing everything, to prevent a war." 

I cocked my head, "Care to enlighten me?" 

He bit the inside of his cheek in contemplation and at last blurted out, "Follow me." 

I raised an eyebrow, but trailed after Raymond as he walked past me and opened the door, strolling out in the hallway. Gently, he grabbed my wrist and drew me closer, "Act as if we were going on a date," He murmured in my ear softly and gently looped his arm through mine. 

I plastered a calm, benevolent smile on my face as he lead me into a labyrinth of hallways, into a wing of a palace I had not yet ventured into. Here, there were no maids bustling around, and nothing of the conversations of the Court ladies, and my footsteps were loud with these heels.

Raymond pulled into a room that was hidden by the billowing satin curtains framing the large windows by the door. As soon as the door clicked shut behind me, I inhaled sharply. It was about the size of my bedroom and littered on the walls were maps of territories and Realms. Books on shelves flanked the other half of the walls and lava lamps on the walls flared brightly. 

"Wwhat is this?" I breathed, my eyes fluttering from the maps to the bookshelves. Raymond strolled over to the maps, ranging from ceiling tall to notebook sheet sizes. 

"The map room. Come, take a look." 

I walked over to the map he was standing by- the map of Odia. My eyes fell on the two border cities of the realms, "Fres and Subosa- what of them if the war you speak of will concur?" 

Gravely, he replied, "They would be one of the first places to be obliterated. Subosa and Omnia are symbols of peace and at times of war, they must be destroyed."

I felt my heart sink, "But they are the most densely populated!"

Then, my gaze drifted further down, at the lands under the Summer Realm. At the Archipelago of Stars- and its biggest island, Neverland. My heart broke even more when I thought of James' sacrifice, and how he defeated the evil sorcerer, Peter. The boy who never grew up. 

Stories from refugees that managed to slip between his grasps were horrid. The boy executed anyone for the most random of reasons, with his posse of younger boys- the Lost Boys. 

I shook those thoughts away and my gaze fell on Luminous. Pointing to our capital, I said softly, "What of the capitals?" 

"They too, will also be targeted. If there is a bright side, many will flee to remote and isolated areas of their Realms before the start of war. We have the Harrah Desert, Winter has their Wynora Peaks. Fall has the magic of illusions to shield them from detection and Spring.... Their vicious armies will stop at nothing to defend their civilians- and slaughtering the other side."

I turned to look at Raymond, "So, what are you doing?" 

He pursed his lips, studying the map, "I'm pushing my father for civilians, especially in places like Luminous and Omia, to practice evacuations, just as a precaution. I'm currently in the process of hosting peace talks and going around to other Realms to speak on the behalf of Summer that we want peace." 

I nodded, and suddenly, a wave of helplessness hit me- what could I do to stop a war that could burn down the world? Raymond read the question in my eyes, and he said, "You know, you could come with me, if you want." 

I brightened up, "Really?" 

He shrugged, "Sure, why not? Besides, your passion could sway their opinions, you know." As we left the room and walked back, I asked him, "Do you really believe that I can make a change?" 

Without one millisecond of hesitation, Raymond replied truthfully, "Of course."