3 8 : d e t e r m i n a t i o n · a n d · k n o w l e d g e

Ella: 

Raymond gave me a strained smile and a hand squeeze, but I just nodded, exhaling. He nodded to the guards who threw open the doors and announced us, "His Highness Crown Prince Raymond and Her Highness Lady Ella!" 

Right- I was a Lady now. I didn't dare let that deter me- not as the High King looked at us. 

"What is it," The King drawled, "that you want?" 

Raymond sighed, "Father, it is a well known fact that tensions between the Realms are increasing. This may very well escalate into another Blood War-"

"I know that," the King snapped impatiently, "I'm well versed in war politics- something your brother is not."

Raymond pursed his lips, but continued, "I wish for me and my wife to act as Ambassadors for our Realm to prevent another Blood War. We've already seen the devastation left between from the previous Blood Wars-"

 "Your wife?" His father sneered, his eyes mocking, "You literally picked this woman off the streets because of her pretty face. She might as well be one of the rebels-"

"I assure you," I retorted calmly, "that I am not an anarchist."

The High King turned his attention to me, "And you dare interrupt me?" 

"If she has the courage to interrupt you, she can handle the navigation of politics, Father," A new voice interrupted. I turned to see a young man walk through the doors behind us. Whereas my husband had blue eyes, he had jade green, but shared the same blond hair, though he had heavy Summer accent. 

"Milos," The King rumbled, "so you finally hauled ass from your bed?" Raymond cleared his throat, "well, do we have your permission?" 

King Mavin barked out a laugh, "You two like to pretend you hold all the power, but I love reminding you two that you're still under my leash."

"An answer, King Mavin?" I pressed, willing my mask into neutrality. 

The High King studied me, his eyes scanning every inch of me- from the complex yet modest hairdo to the hem of my dark silk dress, and dropped a nod, "You should know that should you take this job, the smallest mistake will send your head rolling. Understood?"

Raymond moved to object but I nodded, "Understood." And as I lifted my chin to challenge the gaze of King Mavin, I realized that I was not afraid.

~

"We're going to Subosa?" I asked Raymond, who nodded impatiently. "Where is that son of a-"

"Present!" Exclaimed an overtly cheerful voice. Prince Milos beamed at me, "My charming lady," He purred as he pressed a kiss to the back of my hand. 

 I managed a small smile, "Thank you." 

Raymond playfully shoved Milos aside, "I'm going to have to stop you there, Milos, before you start serenading my wife." 

I coughed pointedly, "So, aren't we going to Subosa?" 

Milos nodded, "Hold on tight!" Raymond took my hand and I gripped it hard subconsciously as Milos took my other hand and with his free hand, threw shimmering dark dust over us. And as the dust landed on us, our surroundings vanished, replaced by darkness and winds tearing at us. 

And suddenly, it was all gone and I stopped the shaking. "Where are we?" 

Milos grinned and let go of my hand, "The Summer Embassy in Subosa, of course! This is the Jumping room, where everyone enters and leaves by magic." 

Raymond sighed, "Why are you always so happy, Milos?" 

"Well," Milos drawled, "first I'm away from daddy dearest. Secondly, Subosa has some hot chicks to bang, and thirdly, how can I not be happy when such a beautiful lady is nearby?" Milos shot a wink at me, and automatically, I blushed. 

"You do realize that you've hinted that you're going to hook up with other girls while flirting with my wife all in one sentence, right?" Raymond scowled, pushing open the door. 

At once, every ambassador and official in the room stopped their conversations and stared at us. Raymond began talking, "Alright, so I assume that the peace meeting I asked you all to set up is in?"

A man picked up the scattered files on his desk and nodded urgently, "Yes sir," he passed Raymond the files, "Here are the reports of the..." he spared a glance at me, and only continued when Raymond nodded, "spies we have on all the borders." 

Raymond leafed through the pages, "Anything out of the ordinary, Winston?" Winston shook his head, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose, "No, sir. Though there have been talk of the rebels leaking rather sensitive information to the other Realms." 

"Have you spoke to my Father?" This time, it was Milos who spoke, his voice and face devoid of any happiness and was stone cold. Ambassador Winston replied with a grim expression, "He said that this would fall under your jurisdiction." 

"Lazy bastard," Raymond snarled under his breath. Everyone in the room looked away, pretending they didn't hear that. "Alright," he sighed, composing himself, "send out undercovers as rebels and confirm if this is indeed true. If so, we have see what they know and what they don't, and use this to our advantage."

The Ambassador dropped a nod, and hastily exited the room, muttering under his breath of the things he had to do. Raymond cleared his throat, "Meanwhile, my wife, Ella, will be serving as a peace ambassador. Please treat Lady Ella as you would to me and Milos. Thank you." 

At the dismissal, the Embassy flew back into a flury, everyone too busy to stop what they were doing. Messengers dashed in and out, ambassadors and officials rapidly filling out paperwork or arguing with each other.

"What now?" I murmured to Raymond. He cocked his head, "Follow me."