4 4 : c o m p r o m i s e · a n d · d e a l

Ella: 

The room fell silent as Milos and I walked in. Ambassadors glanced at us behind their carefully masked expressions, and from the corner of my eye, I saw Milos subtlety reach for his concealed dagger. 

Still, I kept my head held high and I took my assigned seat, even as the murmurs started again. Finally, perhaps impatient with the facade game, the Winter Ambassador stood up with a sneer. He was a bulky man with a beard that was surprisingly untamed for a politician. Still, he was tall and wore an expensive-looking leather tunic. 

"Why have you called this meeting, Summer? There is many more things to be done than to sit in this meeting room and stay silent." 

I cleared my throat, "The semblance of  war is looming closer and closer, and the goal is to prevent war, is it not?" 

A Spring Ambassador, of dark brown skin and warrior hands, did not look patient, "Of course it is- we've been discussing this for months and still, progress has not moved yet an inch. If we do not do something soon, there will be bloodshed, Princess." 

I leaned forward, "Would it perhaps halt, or at most delay the possibility of war if I explained another threat?" 

"There is no other threat," the Winter Ambassador who had spoken first snapped viciously, "and we are not fools to believe in an imaginary enemy." 

The Fall Ambassador was so silent I had almost forgotten he was here, until he sharply intervened, "Be quiet Bryon, and let the girl finish." 

I gestured to the map spread across the meeting table and pointed to an archipelago. "The Archipelago of Stars, Ambassadors. We have reason to believe that the Lost Boys are rising in rebellion of our rule, especially with the death of Peter Pan."

The Archipelago of Stars was technically controlled by all four Realms of Odia, but not much attention was paid to these islands. 

"The Archipelago of Stars?" Bryon sneered, "And I assume they have an armada and thousands of soldiers. Do you hear this, Casper? Edwin? This girl thinks that the Archipelago of Stars, run by immature midgets is a threat." 

"Anyone who practices shadow magic is a threat, Bryon," The Fall Ambassador drawled lazily. His eyes glittered with untold secrets and his smile was lazy, almost careless, though it too, was a facade. Anyone could've mistaken him for a youth, though I knew better. 

Bryon scoffed, "We already know this, Edwin. I see no purpose in opening a new conversation that is not relevant to the subject of war."

I coughed, "So, you do admit that the Lost Boys are a threat?"Bryon scowled at me, his eyes flashing with annoyance, "I really don't like you, Princess."

"Please do continue, Highness," The Spring Ambassador sighed, stress and exhaustion marking his face.

I gave him a grateful smile and pushed on, "Without their leader, the Lost Boys will not think logically. We must eliminate the threat before it becomes a rival to our powers. Do you not recall what happened with Evadon?"

Bryon was silent. 

I continued, "They said that the results of the attack was devastating. Evadon- a city of botany and beauty was turned into rubble and whichever unlucky ones who survived the shadow attacks went mad and transformed into wild beasts... all because we did not bow to their demands to recognize the Archipelago of Stars as their own realm and Neverland Island as their capital."  

Even Edwin stopped smiling, as if he had seen the terror firsthand. I wouldn't be surprised if he had. I had come not to question the magic of the Fall Realm. 

"And that was them in control," I continued quietly. "Without Peter, they're wild. We all know this. When Peter was in control, we knew him. We could understand him, but the Lost Boys are a wild card. We don't know what they will do." 

Bryon leaned forward with a grave expression, "So we should focus on the threats from the Lost Boys, and I assume you're going to propose a temporary alliance against Neverland?" 

All I said was, "It's better to stand united, than divided, isn't it?"

The Spring Ambassador, Casper, sighed, "I'm not so sure..."

"The Lost Boys aren't going to spare civilians. Food will be scarce if they destroy Omia." Omia was the city where the other continents came to trade with Odia, and it was too valuable to risk.

Casper stiffened, "This Lost Boys situation is just a temporary buffer. Tensions will return, if not at full force."

I sighed, "Do you have a better option?" 

There was a long period of silence, before the Fall Ambassador spoke. "I'm in." Casper and Bryon gaped at Edwin, who had a lazy grin stretched across his face again. 

"What?" Bryon spluttered, shocked. 

"Didn't you hear, Winter? The. Fall. Realm. Is. In." Edwin replied, flashing a lethal grin at them. 

Casper seemed to regain some of his confidence, "So is the Spring Realm." 

Now, everyone's eyes were on Bryon. Edwin's eyes flashed with challenge and Casper's with narrowing judgement. And I kept my emotions hidden behind a mask. The same mask that had shielded me Amber's temper. 

Bryon's face was almost sour when he conceded, "Very well. The Winter Realm will accept the temporary alliance." 

I let a hint of a smile creep to my lips, "That's what I thought." 

 a/n: sorry about the late update (as if anyone cares). anyways, i completely forgot about a bunch of wp things, like the RoP update (i guess that's what happens when you have to wake at six in the morning after a late night) so yah. Sorry again.