2 6 : d e a l s · a n d · d r i n k s

Amber: 

I hated the Spring Realm with every fiber of my being. The air was polluted with the gardenia scent that made my nose itch. Keeping to the shadows, I glamoured my face as a plain, uncaring maidservant as I slipped around the capital city of Spring- Acacia. 

Acacia bustled with life- one I had no part in. And I had to admit, they had a pretty shitting security system at the palace. Not one guard or servant spared me a glance, and either stood still as stone, or scurried around the palace like rats. 

Acacia House, well really, more of a palace, might have been stunning if I actually cared. But I had only one mission, and I was damn determined to get what I had came here for. 

When I reached the door I wanted to go, I took a deep breath before pushing the door handle and stepping into the room.

The room was as breathtaking as the palace itself. Natural sunlight lit up the room, a majestic bed frame with a fluffy mattress encased in the middle, and a vanity at the far end of the room. 

But most importantly, a girl with blond hair and dark eyes stared at me, her lips parted. I let the glamour drop and whatever was on the edge of her tongue, faded away. 

She stared at me, and I stared back at her for a long time. At last, she whispered, "Amberly." 

Amberly. It had been ages since I had heard that name. 

"Auora," I replied with a nod. 

She took a step forward hesitantly, as if I were a ghost, "Are you real?" 

I shrugged, "Are you real?" I echoed. Auora shook her head, "But they said that you were d-dead, how can you still be alive?" 

Scoffing, I shifted my weight to the other leg, "People lie, A, and I think you'd know that by now." 

And that was when I realized that her eyes were wet with grief, and she held a crumpled letter in her hand. "What is that?" I murmured drawing closer to Auora. 

She wordlessly handed me the crinkled sheet of paper. I hissed my breath as I scanned the familiar handwriting. 

"Dear Auora, 

I'm writing to you on the behalf of your brother. Jem has sailed to Neverland with the intention of sacrificing his soul to save the world. I am still not quite sure of the ties he had severed with his family, but I know that you love(d) him and I think you should have a right to know.

Jem loves you. 

Yours truly, Val" I read out loud, my voice crackling over my sister's nickname. 

Auora sniffed, "So it's true then, what your sister says is true." I hesitated, "I wouldn't know. I haven't heard from her in... a while." 

Auora sat down on her bed, "So... all this time, you and Aveline are alive." 

I sat down besides her, "Yeah. I assume you've still been talking to Hades after all these years?" 

The Princess of Spring sighed, "Of course I have, he's my friend. But Amberly, you don't know how devastated he was when you, Ave, and the High Queen vanished. Stars, he might have killed himself if it weren't for Persephone." She paused, and then finished quietly, "Does he even know that you're alive?" 

My silence confirmed her suspicion but she said nothing, and looked down at my sister's letter, "Jem can't be gone. I knew he always had a heroic spirit, but I can't stand his absence. Each day, I only get through them because I tell myself that Jem will one day come back. But now he's gone, and I will truly be alone now," Auora muttered hoarsely.