2 0 : p r o m i s e s · a n d · l i e s

Paris: 

Elsa's ice cold glare was enough to send an army running for the hills, but I stayed rooted to the throne as she fixed that look on me. 

"My sister fled with your... prisoner?" The Queen of Arendelle had learned to control her wild power long ago, but she didn't bother with the ice magic leaking from her, freezing my throne room. I hadn't seen her so hurt since Anna decided to change her name to Lacey, be free of her past.

"Yes," I muttered quietly, praying to the Stars that I didn't set of her temper because that, was something I truly afraid of.  

A gust of wind and snow now swept the room as Elsa shook with anger, "Find her. Now." The quiet ice in her voice sent shivers down my spine but I forced my mouth to say, "It would seem that she has... outsmarted us." 

Snow and ice began to whirl around the room, "My sister... she could be gone," Elsa whispered to herself, so similar to the young girl she once was who I befriended and loved. 

"Anna will be fine. Evelyn will protect her," I promised quietly, sending my magic to soothe the upcoming storm in my throne room. 

Elsa took a deep breath, steadying herself, "You better pray to the Stars that what you say is true, or-" 

"Or you'll lose your sister's soul forever. I know." I responded softly. 

Arendelle's Queen looked so forlorn, so drained by grief, "I thought I'd lost her forever when Hans stabbed Anna... I can't bear to lose her again. You know that, Paris."

"Elsa," I murmured, walking to where she stood, "Anna will be safe." 

Her ice blue eyes stared into mine, "How do you know?" I looked at the face of my ex-lover and gently lifted her chin, "Because, you'll know. Sister instinct. Promise." 

Elsa threw herself on me, sobs heaving through her body, and I held her silently. We stood there, saying nothing, and just held each other like we used to. 

~

I hated to leave Elsa at the state she was in, but didn't bring myself to wake her up from where she slept in my bed. With her braid undone, she almost looked harmless, content. But I knew better. 

I slipped away to my study, pouring my energy into searching for information, to prove that Evelyn wasn't the force that could change the world. That couldn't be...it had to be wrong. If anything, it should be Amber for her rage could swallow the world in flames... but she possessed no raw magic, just black magic which would require sacrifices. 

"What are you doing?" A soft voice asked startling me out of my search. I turned to see Elsa standing at the doorway, her ice blond hair cascading down her back, her eyes tired and lonely. 

Standing up, she didn't step back as I advanced toward her, "Searching." I replied, stopping three feet away from her. Even here, I could feel the steady thump of her magic in her veins, begging to be released. 

"For what?" She asked me, her eyes, so blue, stared at me with a determination that not many possessed. I dared to look past her face, past the sharp cheekbones and her full lips. She wore a loose tank top, a quick shawl thrown over her shoulders, and dark grey leggings that was not too loose or too tight. 

Sighing, I motioned for her to sit, and began to explain, "My mentor, Jonas Thorne, he was a seer as well as a sorcerer. He foresaw a great evil had the potential to destroy the world if not stopped in time. In the last decade, he received more and more glimpse of a female figure wielding raw magic- a rare talent, and a girl who mirrors... Evelyn Tremaine. Of course, he'd never seen Evelyn before, but he showed me a few glimpse at the shadowy figure and the resemblance was clear-"

Elsa sat up, her eyes growing cold, "Wait. The same Evelyn that has my sister?" 

Right. I had forgotten about that. I cleared my through nervously, "Evelyn fiercely protects the ones closest to her heart." 

"Like her dead mother?" Elsa's cold words were not without worry. 

"You know-" My words were interrupted by an urgent tapping at the window. Elsa tensed, her hands out, ready to unleash her power. Sending my own magic on alert, I carefully walked to the window and opened it. A crow stared back at me, a message tied on it's leg. 

Untangling the bit of ribbon, I held out a hand in front of the crow's face, and then erased all the crow's memory of the Winter Realm and sent it soaring back home, wherever it came from. Closing the windows, I walked back to my chair, and sat, opening the letter. Some of Elsa's hair tickled my shoulder as she leaned over to read as well. 

Paris,

Paris,

Nothing new has occurred, upon the subject... of our prey. However, I write to you in regards to a.... problem. First, my father is starting to get suspicious that I am trying to overthrow him with your support. Crazy, right? But upon another urgent topic, you see, a darling source, after a few hours of alone time with me, revealed that there is an army strong enough to rival the four realms. Can you believe it? I have reasons to believe that the Tremaine sisters may be behind this, or worse, leading this group. Will we remain allies to the very end? 

-Raymond

I released a sharp breath, as Elsa asked, "Whose Raymond?"

"You know, one of the darling Charmings at the Summer Realm," I sighed, feeling a headache bloom. I was beginning to regret this alliance. Who knew Raymond was so clingy? For the love of Stars, this was an alliance, not a friendship. 

Elsa touched my shoulders with her ice cold fingers, "Gee... that girl has left you in a new low." I leaned into her comforting touch, "Oh you have no idea, Elsa, you have no idea." 

a/n: I entered Camp NaNo, so hopefully I will be able to write more. And you know what this means- more chapters!