3 5 : d r e a m s · a n d · b e t r a y al

Evelyn: 

Before I had left Subosa's Winter Village, I had snagged a few furs and a cloak, as well as refreshing my stock of food and cash. Thievery, as Hades liked to point out when we were younger, had always been something I was just naturally good at. 

And now, I was forever grateful for this skill. No matter the furs I had dressed my stallion in, no matter the fur cloak I draped over my back, it was still so cold. Winds whipped my face like a dozen needles pricking the skin, despite the hood I kept up. I still wasn't confident about Jumping, but a few times, I had gotten bold enough to Jump small distances, like over a chasm or a half frozen river. 

The stallion had taken a short time to get accustomed to my use of magic, and I was beginning to grow on it. I decided to name it "Storm" after its determination and strength. With my short distance Jumps and Storm's speed, we reached the city of Kario by nightfall.

As we approached the quiet city, I jumped off Storm and lead it into the gates. The streets were mostly deserted, save for a few people. I walked down the cobblestone streets, leading Storm, until I found an inn. By then, it felt as if too many people's eyes were on me. I didn't like leaving Storm alone, but I had to get a room for the night. 

But these stares- they were suffocating, and I decided to camp on the outskirts of Kario for the night. I did, however, stop by one of the few vendors that were still out and bought some food. As I handed over the last of my money, I heard Storm's loud snort of process and tore away from my grasp to defend me- but Storm was too late. 

The last thing I remembered was Storm's neigh and a solid metal pipe hitting the back of my head before everything faded away. 

~

I opened my eyes to a dark room, and it appeared that I was in the middle of this room, though I was not sure on how I acquired this knowledge. Dark whispers came from the corners of the room... and as my eyes began to adjust to the dimness, a few orbs of light lit up the room. 

I blinked at the harshness of the light and then, I noticed her. She was not of the earth, a goddess or a spirit perhaps? She had long, flowing white hair, her eyes with clear pupils, and her skin flawless. 

Her white robes glowed as if it were made of starlight itself and at last, she asked, "What have you done?"

 I closed my eyes, "I am sorry, Aunt." 

My dead Aunt threw up her hands- how I knew this, I had no idea- "I gave you one simple task-"

"Killing Amber is not one simple task. You cannot expect me to commit fratricide, Aunt. Just because you can doesn't mean I will." 

My mother's sister shook her head, "It is my magic that runs in your blood- If I can do it, so can you." 

I turned my head, "No."

"You were supposed to do it that faithful night, nine years ago, and you failed. You've always wanted to be a hero, didn't you? Well, kill your sister and-"

I threw out my hands, letting the shadows of the room wrap around her neck, despite her luminous figure, "Leave me alone," I snarled. 

"It's only a matter of time," she gasped, clawing her neck, "You know it." 

And then, the room vanished and I gasped-

opening my eyes. My head throbbed painfully as I sat up. And then, everything came rushing back. I jumped out of the comfortable bed and as soon as I stood up, my headache worsened. Sharp pain hit me and my knees buckled. I collapsed, landing with a loud thud. 

The door to the room slammed open and Paris stepped in. 

"Wha?" I mumbled, confused. He rushed toward me, "Evelyn!" I groaned, struggling to sit up, "How did I get here?" 

There was something like guilt in his eyes, "I... some citizens of Kario brought you here." 

I squinted, "Here? Where is here?" 

"Asyrien." 

Rubbing my head, I sat up slowly, "I don't understand, why?" 

"Because I told them so." 

Paris had given me an ice pack for my head wound, and we sat across the table in silence. He had told me to shower- I didn't bother arguing, as I hadn't bathed in weeks. Unlike the first time I met Paris, I scurried out of the bathtub as fast as I could and through on the light blue dress he let me borrow as a servant washed my previous clothing. 

I looked down at the cooked pasta and blurted out, "What of Storm?" 

Paris wrinkled his brow, "Excuse me?"

"Storm- my stallion." Well, not really mine, but I had stolen the horse. 

"In the stables... why?" 

I sank with relief, "Good." Over the days, I had gotten attached to the stallion and couldn't bare the idea of sending him away. I cleared my throat, pushing my untouched plate away from me, "Why am I here?" 

My chances of tracking Amber were diminishing by the second and I had no intention of staying- not after what Paris did to me. Paris seemed to remember that too at the same time, and cleared his throat, "I need to stop you." 

I furrowed my brow, "From what? Finding Amber?" He shook his head, his eyes haunted, "I can't let you burn down the world, Evelyn. I can't."

I stood up, suddenly wishing I had my dagger with me, "What do you mean?" 

He looked almost sad as he said, "It is your destiny to end the world, and I can't let that happen, friend or no. So, I'm afraid I'm going to have to end you." From his cloak, he withdrew a ruby dagger, glistening from the lights of the chandelier, and I could've sworn tears were in his eyes. 

I held out my hands and backed away, bumping into my chair, but I kept on going, "No," I begged. Paris threw the dagger anyway.