6. An Unfortunate Event

After I hung out with the girls, I decided to leave. It was already past midnight and my mother would be home at 6 in the morning. I could've stayed longer but I felt tired as a lazy dog. The moon still shone brightly in the sky, joined by millions of sparkling stars. It was a beautiful sight. I strolled through the woods, the leaves cracked and crunched whenever my foot stepped on one. I yet again had the disgusting feeling I was getting watched. It always made me glance over my shoulder like in those scary horror. I now thought I was starting to be introduced into a horror movie. The woods were surprisingly quiet, except for me crunching on leaves. My home shouldn't be far now. I listened to my footsteps which somehow echoed through my mind.

Wait! How can that even happen?! That wouldn't be echoing. That's someone else's footsteps!!

Panic and fear started to course through my veins, making me start to walk faster. I was in shock and more panic as the footsteps behind me did the same thing. They sped up to the same pace as me. This was just evidence that someone's chasing me. I started to jog and like I thought, the person behind me, the owner of those echoing footsteps started to jog too. I didn't dare to take it up another pace for I knew the person who's behind me would do the same and I knew this person wasn't far behind. I didn't dare to take a glance behind me either. I feared that when I looked back, the person would just tackle me or Glob knows what!!!

Without thinking, not caring about the consequences, I burst into the fastest speed I've ever done. I've heard it's called 'RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!' I ran so fast I could picture all the trees speeding past me. I kept running till I could only hear my heavy puffing breathing and Only My footsteps.

Before I knew it, I was in front of my house. The lights were off and it almost looked abandoned but not old or anything. My house was a dull color but not only at night did it look abandoned. It looked haunted. I got that feeling that something wasn't right. This feeling wasn't being watched or anything, although that feeling still hovered around me. This feeling is when you can sense if something is terribly, TERRIBLY wrong. It's so strong, it was Impossible to ignore it.

My heart rate sped up when I realized that mom's car was parked up the driveway and the front door of my house was wide open. "Mum" I whispered and rushed into my house. Once inside, my eyes darted around, looking for my mother or any sign of movement or ANYTHING! There was no sign of my mother downstairs so I decided to go upstairs, she just has to be there. With every step I took up the stairs, the strong the feeling got and the more worried I got about my dear mother. "Mum!" "Mum where are you?!" I yelled throughout the house. I didn't care if I woke the neighbours, I just cared about finding my mother.
I went to my room first, to find it empty. Next the bathroom, empty. The last place to check was her and dad's bedroom. She just has to be there! I sprinted into my mother's bedroom. The door had been closed. She was probably sulking that I went out to the party without permission. I slowly creaked the door open and opened it wide open.

I gasped at the scene. The bedroom. My mother was indeed in here. Just not.....
Breathing.

Red crimson blood painted the walls. The furniture was flipped over, smashed, broken and hardly anything survived in one piece. The window was Wide open. On the bed. On the mattress lay my mother's body. Her corpse. Her bed was stained in Her blood, her bed sheets ripped and torn right off. My mother had stab marks all over her body and her blood looked only a few hours old.

I collapsed to my knees, head in my hands, screaming in sorrow and horror. Tears ran down my face like a waterfall, I couldn't control them. My entire body was shaking in terror and sorrow. When my dad passed away from cancer, I barely survived getting over that. My mother was murdered! I took long minutes to process what's happening.
I should've been here! If I wasn't here, my mother wouldn't be dead! This is all my fault! I should've listened to her! I felt like I was going to pass out from crying but I had enough energy and courage to pick myself back up. It hurt to look at my mother's lifeless corpse so I tried to train my eyes away from my mother but it was nearly impossible.

Something caught my eye. A box, more looking like a present sat on the bed next to my mother's corpse. I had enough courage to make my way over to the bed and pick up the present. The box was white was a red bow on it. I took a deep and calm breath before opening it. With what was in there, made me wish I didn't.

A scream escaped my throat at what I saw inside. An organ. Not just any organ... My mother's heart. It looked fresh. More tears escaped my eyes as whoever murdered my mother stabbed her repeatedly and dug out her heart and stuffed it in a box. It was sick. I noticed that there was writings of blood on my mother's bedroom walls.
As I read them, more and more fear grew inside me.
"I hope you like my present, angel" "I'll be seeing you real soon" "You're MINE"
Whoever did all this is sick. So sick, I can't manage to describe it. Either than those messages, there was one word that was written in blood all over the room. It said one word which I couldn't think of what it means.

"MINE"