Chapter 24

Jane

Christina and Lilly finally left me alone. None of this made any sense. How could I be under the water for that long? This bond is creating madness. Why do I keep seeing Nick? The hallucinations are from the bond. Tying to draw Nick and I back together. He isn't in any pain. He shouldn't be. None of this is real. Uncle had warned us that a bond like ours is dangerous. But, we are only in danger when we are apart. Unexpected things would happen. Like death. If I go back, I'll live the rest of my life being mated with a man who loves another women. If I stay away, I'll live the rest of my life having nightmares and hallucinations and near to death experiences.

The clock said it was midnight. Everyone went to bed. But, I was hungry. Well my wolf.  The house was quiet. I could hear the clock ticking down the hall. There was a raw t-bone stake in the fridge, wrapped up. I ate the stake aggressively. Leaving nothing but the bone.

Cigarette smoke came through the kitchen window. Miles stood smoking and gazing up at the stars. I decided to join him closing the sliding door slowly so any sudden sound wouldn't startle him.

"Miles?" He let out a breath of smoke which swirled in the cool air. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" His voice was croaky.

I actually didn't know why I was sorry. It was just something to say to kill the awkwardness.

"How did you survive?" He said softly.
I bit my lip. I had no clue myself. I couldn't tell him anything because I haven't quite got it around my head myself. It wasn't anything a wolf is capable of.
"I don't know.."
He scoffed. "It's a miracle that you are alive." His head dropped. He was tired. He inhaled the smoke, he then flicked it into the sand.
"Smoking is a really bad habit."
He blew the smoke into my face. "So is lying."
"I'm not lying!" My voice went incredibly high which made it look like I was hiding something.
"No one can survive that long under water, Em." I blushed as he already had a nickname for me. He began to walk inside but I grabbed his arm.
"Miles, you shouldn't blame yourself for what happened to me."
"I don't." He said absurdly. He moved my hand away, and fled into the house. Leaving me out in the cold.

                *****
The next morning everyone went silent as I entered the room. I hated this much silence. It was unbearable. The boys were eating away, whilst Christina made breakfast. Lilly was reading something on her phone.
"Did you know that the tallest wave ever was 1719 feet! It was at Lituya Bay..in Alaska."
"Oh, give it a rest Lilly." Miles said. He definitely was in a mood. He's probably not a morning person either.
"I'm just trying to figure out why it there was such a big wave at Ends. It's the biggest we ever had."
"Yeah and look at what happened, someone almost died." Eric commented.
"That's not something you should advertise, Eric." Miles shot back.

I sat down next to Eric. He greeted me with a smile. "Good morning beautiful." Christina put a plate of food in front of me. My wolf demolished it in a second.
"Well someone's hungry." Eric joked. "Love a girl who can eat!"

We giggled at the table. Miles even had a little smile on his face. My stomach grumbled.
"Damn girl, you are hungry."
"She can have mine." Miles handed me his plate. "I lost my appetite."

                                           ******
The boys were out surfing. The girls and I sat inside watching movies.
"So Christina, what's your birthday theme going to be!" Lilly looked through a magazine. "I reckon a horror theme!"

It's Christina birthday? Why didn't anyone tell me. Wolves celebrate their birthdays amazingly. Gifts, feast and huge parties. I don't know what it's like for humans.