2015 NBA Finals- Game One

Kyrie Irving walked out of the locker room with adrenaline coursing through his body. He shook out his arms to stay loose as thirteen men dressed in their maroon and gold warm ups filed into the tunnel. Forty feet away he could see the sides of the stands, packed with people wearing Golden State jerseys. Forty feet away he could see the court where he was prepared to give his all for four quarters. Every thing he had, he was prepared to give to this game, to this team, to this moment. 

Cleveland Cavaliers. Golden State Warriors. 2015 NBA Finals. 

He saw LeBron out of the corner of his eye, pulling at his leg in a hamstring stretch having a casual conversation with Tristan. Tristan stretched his mouth out in a smile, laughing at something LeBron said under his breath. That's what the King did. Every single game, no matter what, he would try to make every single man on the roster laugh. He said it was an easy way to loosen guys up. 

Kyrie needed that more than ever. He wasn't scared per-say, but he knew how much was riding on Cleveland heading into these Finals. He didn't want to disappoint. There were tens of thousands of fans sitting in Oracle arena watching on the four sided screen that hung from the rafters. There were tens of thousands of fans sitting in bars across America placing bets that rode on his shoulders. There were tens of thousands of fans sitting in their homes gathered around the television to watch the first game of the 2015 Finals. Little kids with their Kyrie jersey's watching to see what he would do. He didn't want to let them down. He didn't want to disappoint. 

LeBron gathered the team in a huddle in the center of the tunnel, one arm around Kyrie's back, one arm around Tristan's. 

"We worked so goddamn hard to get to this point, boys. We fought and fought and clawed our way to be here on this stage, in the most moment. We are blessed to play the greatest sport in the world. Surrounded by some of the best people we'll ever meet. Surrounded by our family. Because that's what we are. We are a team, but first and foremost we are a family." LeBron's voice rose as he continued. "And we deserve to be here, in this spotlight, fighting for that trophy. Nothing is given. Everything is earned. Let's go, boys. Let's make Cleveland proud." 

And with LeBron's words behind them, they ran out of the tunnel and into the bright lights of Oracle area. The scream of Cavs fan were loud, but the boos of Golden State's audience was rivaling. Kyrie scanned the crowds for a Cavs jersey and found a girl in her mid twenties. She was sitting close to the court and was surrounded by blue and yellow jersey's. But she was sporting a burgundy Kyrie. He pointed at her as if to say 'this is for you' before turning back to his teammates. 

Overtime. Down by four. Every single person in Oracle is on edge as the clock ticks down from two and a half minutes. Cleveland's possession forced Klay Thompson on to touch defensive against Kyrie and when Golden State regains the ball, the end is clear. In more ways than one. 

Kyrie speed limps down the court, pain tearing up his leg and brutally evident on his face. Those closer to the court heard his muffled "fuck! Coach!" but everyone else just heard the screeching of the refs whistle and time came to a standstill. It felt like the entire arena was holding their breath as Cleveland's star point guard limped towards the locker, surrounded by medical staff and security guards. 

With Kevin out with a dislocated shoulder and Kyrie limping to the locker room, hope had started to fade for Cavaliers fans  

----------

"Does Klay feel bad?" Sabrina Kerr asked sullenly, glaring at Steve. 

"Hun! Come on now! Kyrie's knee just gave out. Look at the film. Klay was just doing what he had to do. It's unfortunate, yes, but don't blame it on one of my best players." Steve took a swig of whiskey out of his glass and looked at his daughter over the rim.

"Uh huh. Sure." 

"I still don't understand how you can live in California, be my daughter, and still hate the Warriors. God, your mother must have instilled the Cavalier blood deep within you." 

"Damn right. I'll bleed maroon and gold until I die, Steve." 

"Oh you'll bleed alright. With Kevin out and Kyrie questionable... that trophy is running farther and farther away." 

Sabrina shook her head. "I think you're forgetting a pretty powerful force dad." 

"That's true. LeBron will always be a force to reckon with. But not if he doesn't have a team behind him."