Second Times the Charm

Kyrie-

I try to catch Kevin's eye from across the room, but he's focused on his girlfriend, Kate, who's whispering something into his ear. I clench my jaw and narrow my eyes before I feel Sabrina looking at me strangely.

"Is- is everything okay, Ky?" She asks, looking confused.

"Yeah. Yeah, totally," I say, slipping my hand into hers. She kisses my cheek, but only so she can discreetly ask where the bathroom is. "Over there," I point down the hallway. "Second door on the left." I wait until she disappears through the door before walking towards Kev. He's solely focused on Kate, but I cough loudly.

He glares at me. "Yes. Hello, Ky."

"Hi," I say, faking a smile at Kate. "Do you mind if I borrow this dude for a minute."

"We were kind of in the middle of som-" Kev begins, before Kate shoves him towards me. I start walking through the crowds of people until we get to a more quiet place.

"Really, Kyrie. I was-" This time, I interrupt him.

"I'm nervous, dude. Last time this didn't go so well..."

"Well are you drunk?"

"Nope. Stayed clear of all alcohol so far."

"I'm sure it will go perfectly." Kevin slaps my shoulder, eager to get back to his own business.

"Yes, but what do I do? How do I do it?"

"You've never had this much trouble before? Why now?"

"Because she is probably the most perfect girl I've ever known."

With a sigh, Kevin leans against the wall. "Get that out of your head, Kyrie. No girl, or anyone for that matter, is perfect. But you like her, hell, maybe you even love her, and that's all that really matters. Obviously she likes you too, she took you back. This still has to come from you, though. I'm not going to tell you what to do or how to do it. I can't tell you what to say and when to say it. Those things have to come from you in order to be authentic and meaningful."

"That's exactly what you told me last time!" I say.

"And you didn't listen and see where that got you!" Kevin takes a deep breath and pulls me into a hug. "I promise you will be fine. Now I gotta go back to my girl." He walks away, and I glance out the hallway to see Sabrina looking for me.

_________________________________

"Oh, sweetheart, you look gorgeous!" Savannah practically squeals in excitement when I introduced her to Sab. "'Bron has told me so much about you!"

"So do you! It's wonderful to meet you!" Before either of us can say a word, Savannah slips her arm through Sabrina's and pulls her away, leaving me and 'Bron.

"You gonna do it?" He asks me, raising his eyebrows suggestively.

"Dude. That's gross."

"You sure? If something happens, may I recommend the room down that hall, take a left, then two rights." He laughs hysterically at his comment, while I gag.

"No! Alright? That's not happening here!"

"You wouldn't be the first."

"You're disgusting, you know that right?"

Sabrina-

Everyone has been so perfectly sweet, and I got to spend a lot of time with Savannah, who in turn introduced me to Kate Bock, who is apparently Kevin's girlfriend. Danielle's going to be sad about that. When she finally returns me to Kyrie, I feel much more at home in the atmosphere. Leave it to her to make everything so natural.

LeBron gives Kyrie a wide smile when we return, choking back a laugh.

"Babe," He says, sliding an arm around Savannah's waist. "Maybe we should leave these two alone for a little bit." She laughs, too, and then together they go talk to someone that looks a lot like Matthew McConaughey.

Then it's just Kyrie and me and for some reason his eyes go everywhere but to me. That's weird. Did something happen? Confused, I look around the crowded room too, when I feel his lips next to my ear.

"Can I talk to you real quick?" Kyrie whispers.

"Sure," I say, uncertain what he wants. He leads me around several corners and through various hallways until we are alone. He stops suddenly and just stares at me for a second before slowly leaning in to kiss me. As soon as our lips part, he breaks away, but I want more, so I reach up to his suit collar and tug him back to my lips. Our kiss deepens and my hands wrap around the back of his neck. He makes a sound in the back of his throat and backs me up against the wall.

"Ky," I mumble, in between kisses. "You brought me here to talk."

"We are talking. And... you.... started this... one,"

"No, really," I say, as he starts placing hungry kisses down my neck and exposed shoulder. I break away from him, though it takes every ounce of strength I have. He plants a pout on his face for a second, before reaching forward for my hand. "I mean, someone could have walked in on us!"

"Sab," He pants, his eyes dark. "If anyone else came down as many hallways as we did, they'd be doing the same thing."

"Well, I-" I look at him carefully, trying to read him.

"No, come on, Sab. Don't look at me like that, otherwise I might just kiss you again." I duck under his arm, but not before he wiggles a laugh out of me.

"Kyrie Irving, you need to stop this right now. You brought me here for a reason -other than that- and I intend to find out." I try to sound as authoritative as possible, but even I can hear the smile in my voice.

"Hey!" He holds up his hands defensively. "I wasn't the one who made... that... go on so long."

I take a deep breath. "Okay, fine. That was me. But now I'm ready to know why you wanted to talk."

"I don't know what your gonna say," A devilish grin spreads across his face. "I've been trying to figure out how to do this the right way ever since July and since I'm not drunk this time...

Sabrina Nicole Aston, can I call you mine?"

"Took you long enough."