2015 NBA Finals- Game Five

Kyrie- 

"Yo dudes, guess who was with a hooker last night?" Tristan proclaims as we enter the locker room. I slap him on the arm as all eyes turn to me. 

"Oh... Thompson you did not just do that!" I mutter under my breath. "I was not with a hooker!" I address, though some of the guys make a face. "I wasn't! I'm not going to do that. Especially not the day before a finals game!" I have become very defensive, and part of me wonders if this is because of Sabrina. 

There is a chorus of 'sures' but I suspect they are just teasing now. Well, there might be one or two guys who might secretly disagree, but let them think what they may. Nothing I can do to change that, most likely this will turn into some inside joke that they text me about at the most inopportune time. 

That's what its like with these guys. I love 'em like they're my brothers, but sometimes they are completely clueless about circumstance. I guess in the long run, its all better for our on and off screen chemistry. 

Coach Blatt walks in right as the guys stop laughing, his face contorting into a "do I even want to know" look. Game five starts in about three hours and the guys have warm ups. Obviously I can't participate with my knee, I haven't even started actual rehab yet, but I was cleared to come and watch. 

Though let's be honest. I would have done that anyway. 

_________________________________________

The Oracle is filled with people, the building is shaking, the announcer is practically screaming. Yet I love it, every moment, every sound, every aspect of this crazy environment. It's intense in the most beautiful way. Pressure rises in the teams, especially when the games are tied. The Cavaliers, led by the Kid from Akron are about to go pour everything they have into game five of the NBA finals. 

And even though I can't play, I'll sit on the bench suit and tie'd up, and cheer my team on. 

Player introductions end, the tip off music starts, and our lineup is out on the floor ready to compete. 

It's Green against Mozgov, and he tips it to Thompson. The next three minutes are pure agony. No points scored, but turnover after turnover is committed. Golden State makes you pay if you give up the ball like that. Normally. 

Klay makes a driving layup, Delly makes a jump shot. Back and forth and back and forth. 

Our next basket comes six minutes into the first quarter. A three by J.R. 

Basketball is so much more stressful when you're not playing. When I'm out on the court, the outside noise, the play by play doesn't matter. It's one big game that I've trained for my entire life. I have control over what move I make, and who gets the ball. But I have no control over anything now. 

I can't pretend I could make better calls than Coach when he calls timeout, I can't pretend I would choose a different play. I'll I know is right now, everything is out of my hands, and the ball isn't exactly bouncing our way. 

At the end of the second quarter, its 51-50, Barnes having made the go ahead free throw. 

"Go get 'em, boys!" I say, giving each of my teammates a high five before they head out of the locker room. Started out rough, but we came here to play. We're right back in this. Twenty-four minutes of all we got, and we could take game 5.

At the end of the third quarter, Mozgov jumps up to replace Thompson, who sits down next to me muttering a string of expletives. He snatches the towel from our staff so violently, I think he almost frightens the poor guy. 

We had kept it close almost the entire game, but in the waning minutes it stretches away from us. Golden State takes a ten point lead with two minutes remaining, and we wouldn't dent it. 

There's not a single person on our team you could blame, though. We were simply outplayed today. Of course, it increases the pressure everyone feels knowing we are now down a game, but its hard to criticize our play. 'Bron played 44 minutes. Let that sink in. Forty. Four. Minutes. Regulation is only forty-eight. 

We were out-shot in threes, and had too many unnecessary turnovers. 

"We have 'em in Cleveland, boys. We'll get 'em." Those are Blatt's parting words as he leaves the building. 

While every one else packs up their stuff, I find myself slowly draw back out to the arena in hopes of finding Sabrina. 

Sabrina-

Danielle slid into the car, chewing her gum loudly. "Hey girl!" She exclaimed, somehow managing to hug me. 

"Hi-" I give her a dirty look when I see what she's wearing. "Are you fricken kidding me?" 

"What?" She asks altogether too innocently. "Klay Thompson is the only jersey I have!" 

I shake my head. "You didn't want to wear Kevin's?" 

"Obviously not! We are going to a Warrior's game, Sab. Gotta show support for my team."

"She says, despite the fact she owns probably three different Kevin Love jerseys," I mockingly say.

"Kevin Love is a man, my dear, not a team." 

We arrive at the arena shortly thereafter, and after navigating our way through the crowds of people, make it to our seats. 

"You know, it just occurred to me," Danielle says. "That when we leave, one of us will be elated and the other will be devastated." 

"Strong words, but yes I suppose so."

This is only the second time Danielle has come with me to a basketball game, these usually aren't her type of thing. 

Regardless, as soon as the game starts she completely emerges herself in the atmosphere. Cheering, chanting, hollering at the refs. It's almost unrecognizable 

_________________________________________________

Game five went to Golden State and they took a 3-2 lead. The championship is obviously still up for grabs, anything cane happen when the teams head to Cleveland for game six. Danielle went off the bathroom right after, though I advised her against it. Waiting lines are horrible.

I wasn't mad about it, though, and I took this opportunity to make my way down towards the entrance of the locker room. Honestly, I'm not even sure if Kyrie is coming out, but better safe than sorry. Then it dawns on me I can text him. 

How weird is that? 

S: Hey! Do I get to say hi to you today? 

K: You just did, lol. 

K: I'm kidding, I'm coming out in a few minutes. 

I wait patiently until I see Kyrie limp out, which is surprisingly quickly

"Hey!" I call out, giving a slight wave.

"Hi!" He pauses at the stands, where I am, and gives me a strange look. 

Something about it makes me feel self conscious. 

"You know what?" He mutters almost to himself. I can't hear what he says next, though his mouth moves. 

"Can I- Can I take you to dinner?" It was such a simple question, yet he asked it as if it was they were the most dangerous words in the world.