Torment

Kyrie:

"Won't those family dinners be awkward? Eating in the same room with the coach of the team who's crushed your dreams twice?" I hear Klay's voice over and over in my head. It didn't leave me the rest of the game, but it drove me to be better. LeBron and I both finished with 41 points. Making history.

But I don't care. I swipe my face with a white towel. Surely Sab would have said something? Right? Surely it would have come up. Sabrina Kerr. Is that really her name? I sit on a bench in the locker room, his words refusing to leave my mind.

Do I confront her? Do I pretend everything is normal?

I really don't know what to do. I try hard to focus on just one thing but my mind is swirling. 1. We won the game. 2. We're heading back the Q for game 6. 3. My girlfriend is the child of Steve Kerr. 4. She never told me.

I can't just pick one to focus on, they are all bearing down on me.

"Damn it!" I yell, slamming my palm against the bench. LeBron jumps at the sudden noise, looking up from his bags at me.

"What the hell you doing man? We won, we're fine. Save the anger for game six."

"No. We won, but fine is not something we are. I don't know what to do!"

"About?" He asks, and I slowly repeat everything Klay said, my voice rising with anger. I glance down at the watch on my wrist.

"I'm supposed to meet her in eight minutes and I don't know what to do. Do I confront her-"

"No! Bad idea, Ky. That'll make things go from bad to worse. First and foremost calm the hell down. You don't know why she hasn't told you yet, give her some time."

"That's bull!" I exclaim, wide eyed. "Give her some time? Is a year not enough time?"

"Calm down, man. I'm just saying," he takes a deep breath. "Look, Kyrie. Take it from a married man. Woman work their way into your mind and stay there. I need you focused for this next game, so think long and hard on the plane ride home, just how bad you think this is. I feel like there are worse bombs she could drop on you. Transgender? Cheating? If you think this is the worst held 'secret' you'll have in a relationship, you need to rethink things."

"So you're not pissed off? Am I the only one who sees this?"

"Yes, you are. If you are going to hold the fact that Steve messed around with her mom over her, you need to reconsider some stuff."

I take a deep breath, watching as guys walk in an out of the showers, packing up for the bus back to the hotel. Glancing down, I see I have five minutes before I am supposed to meet her.

Think, Kyrie, think. Does it make you mad? Yes. Hell yes. No, more. Why? Why does it make you mad? 

I try and reason through things, try and determine exactly why I am so angry.

Sabrina-

I watched as Kyrie slowly made his way through the onslaught of people and security to the tunnel. A smile grew on my face as I watched my man so utterly focused on the championship. He gave everything he had this game, finishing with 41 points, 6 assists, 3 rebounds. The big three combined for 84 points. Of which Kyrie and LeBron had 82.

I pull out my phone, which is already covered with notifications of today's victory, excited tweets and an excessive amount of comments directed towards Kevin Love. Danielle is next to me, looking at some of the same messages I am, with the same look on her face.

"It's not fair," She says, looking up from her phone and showing me a petition to get Kevin off the floor. "This is his first finals, I'd like to see everyone else be shoved into such a precarious position and not be scared."

"They're frustrated, Danielle. We want to win and some fans will search for anyone or anything to blame when they feel things aren't going our way. Unfortunately for Kevin, it'll be him this time.

Further down,I see one article from a Cleveland news source that stands out from the rest and click on it.

Irving and Thompson exchange words as Cavaliers take game 5.

Huh. I saw it, but was so focused on everything else that was happening I didn't think much of it. I scan down more to see if there is any report on what was said, but nothing jumps out at me. Of course not. Part of me really wants to ask Kyrie about it, but the other part feels like maybe it's his business and I should just leave it alone.

I look around the arena, still packed with people but slowly emptying and stand up from my seat. I'm meeting Kyrie in only a few minutes and have to find my way down to the locker room amongst all the security personal. Grabbing Dani's hand to pull her up from her seat, we make our way through the stands.

I can't help but watch all the people. Golden State fans faces are filled with awe and I hear them talking about Kyrie and LeBron. Cavs fans faces are hopeful and they too talk about tonights performance. They say it will go down in history as one of the best duo performance for a finals game. Kyrie Irving, my boyfriend, ensured the Cavaliers are not finished by putting on a stunning show. And I couldn't be prouder.

He's outside the locker room when we arrive, head leaning against the wall, eyes closed. I see RJ over in the corner and send Danielle over there. RJ's wonderful. He'll keep her occupied. I make my way to the bench as quietly as possible, hoping to surprise him. I lower myself next to him and nuzzle my face against the crook of his neck, kissing the spot where his shoulder meets his neck gently.

"Congratulations, baby. You made history." I whisper softly in his ear and he releases a shaky breath, opening his eyes.

"Hey, Sab." His eyes are darker than normal, and they scan everywhere but my face. I try to slip my hand into his, but his stiffens his arm.

"Ky, what's wrong? We won. You guys won!" I try to sound elated, but really I'm just confused. He should ecstatic. We've made it another game. It's going back to the Q. Out of nowhere my mind flashed back to the article. "Was-was it something Klay said. You two had words on the court."

He finally looks at me, holding his hand palm up for me to take.

"Don't worry about it, okay, Sab?"

"Okay... you can tell me though, if you need to get it out. Your secret is safe with me."

His eyes widen at my last statement and he draws his hand away from mine.

"Yeah... you know all about secrets, don't you." It's a statement that should be said with anger, but he says it with sadness. He inhales slowly before placing a light kiss on my cheek. "I'm sorry, Sab. Coach wanted us back early and-"

"No, it's fine. Go. See you in Cleveland." I try to sound perky but my mind is flailing. There is no more doubt in my mind, no more curiosity, about the words he and Klay exchanged.

Secrets.

He knows. Kyrie knows.