The Adventures of Flying

Sabrina-

I sit quietly in my aisle, a book open and resting in my lap. There are various different ways a person could handle being on a plane with the entire Warriors team. A: be extremely fangirly and hang around them. B: try to make some sort of 'impression' on a certain someone. C: be too shy to really say anything to them. Or, D, the probably far less popular option. Have as little to do with any of them as possible. 

Needless to say, I am more of a type D person.

The whole plan D thing was going great. In fact, if I tried hard enough, I could even tune out the sounds the team made behind me. That is, until Klay made his way to my seat and plopped down next to me. 

"Hey Sab," His voice sounds unusually smooth. And unfortunately, it still releases the butterflies in my stomach, no matter how many times I've thrown away the key to their cage.

"Hello, Klay," I try to sound uninterested and blasé, but what is happening on the inside is usually reflected on the outside. Please tell me I'm not blushing. Please. 

Once upon a time, a long time ago, we had a thing. And by a thing I mean we kissed once. Maybe twice. But it never went anywhere, nor could it. (Even if I'm under the radar, I'm still the coaches daughter.) And I know, how dare I do such a thing. Put yourself in my position, though. Your dad is the coach of Klay Thompson, who is admittedly attractive, and he likes you. Are you going to ignore that, even if your alliances lie with the Cavaliers? Besides, they weren't the road block they are now. They were just a good team, trying to become good enough to beat the King.  

For those reasons, we put our 'romance,' if you could even possibly classify it as that, to rest. Besides, I don't like dating guys randomly. And beyond physical attraction, there wasn't any depth. 

"Decided to show some team support, did ya?" He fingers with the blanket scarf wrapped around my neck, a smirk playing on his lips. 

"For my Cavaliers, yes," I turn away from him again and focus on my book

"For my Cavaliers, yes," I turn away from him again and focus on my book. The awkwardness.

"Aw, that's no fun. Why don't you root for someone else for a change?" He laughs now, a soft sound that wants to make me join in. I flip my head to face him. Mistake. Now we are waaaayyyy too close. 

"Klay," I say sternly, trying to remain calm despite the heat rising in my face. "It was a one time thing. It didn't go anywhere, nor will it. Please, go back with your team and let me read."

There wasn't much else he could do. He drops his hand from my scarf and backs out of the seat, watching me the whole time. 

________________________________

"Ow!" I exclaim as something hits the back of my head. Frustrated, I turn around and see a piece of paper lying next to my feet. Bending down to pick it up, I read: 

You staying at our hotel? 

                                     -K

Oh he did not just do that.

"Klay, no! Stop it!" I say angrily, yet I feel a small smile trying to work its way through my face. I hear snickers in the back of plane, but that only makes me smile more. This is hard for me. I love Cleveland with all my heart, but something about the companionship and camaraderie of the Warriors  is intriguing. It makes you want to know the guys. And maybe in the regular season I can hang around them more, but it's kind of hard when they are the rivals of my team in the NBA Finals. 

"Okay, but are you?" I hear a voice call out. 

"No comment, Thompson." 

The plane lands shortly thereafter and a sore, tired, and frustrated version of myself is first off. I don't want to see him right now. 

Everything with Steve can be kind of confusing, even for the team. It took a while for things to be mutually understand. Yes, I fly with them sometimes, in cases such as this, but we don't hang around each other in the public's eye. Or really by ourselves, either. Sometimes I will come with Steve to the Oracle, but that's rare. 

He just wants me to live normally, without any attention from being his daughter. Tabloids can take things far and stretch everything out by simply misunderstanding (sometimes even on purpose) what they see. If I was constantly around the team, rumors would inevitable get out that the coaches daughter was dating a player and things could go downhill quickly. So to avoid that, little to no public interaction.

Also makes it great because then people, like Kyrie Irving, have no clue who I am.

I'm not actually staying at the same hotel as the Warrior, so technically I could have answered Klay's question. Either way, as soon as the plane lands, the team and I part ways, taking different means to get to our hotels. 

Honestly, the first thing I want to do is take a nap. I brought some work to do, mainly filling out orders, but I suppose that can wait until later. 

A nap and a vodka-tonic. With lime. That's I need right now.