I Miss You

Sabrina- 

I slowly pull the phone from my pocket, taking a deep breath before sliding it open. 

I'm sorry. 

That's it. Three weeks of no contact and all he sends me is and I'm sorry. No explanation for why this all blew up, or his absence, nothing. 'I'm sorry's' don't fix things that are already broken, they only put a metaphorical bandage on a real wound. My eyes are hot and when I look up, Steve watching me cautiously. 

"Do you need to go?" he asks. 

"I, no, well. I don't know. Maybe?" I stutter over my words, my heart and my brain both want two different things and its confusing my actions. I want to here, pretending he never texted me, and I want to be home, crying because he remembered me. "Is is okay if I go, I mean, you made this nice din-"

"I don't know what's going on Sab, but your eyes say all that needs to be said. Go on, maybe I'll give your portion to the dog and then he'll be awfully happy." I get up to leave, grabbing my purse, I'm halfway out the door when I pause. 

"Steve. You don't have a dog..." He only laughs and shoos me out the door. 

The short drive home is a conflicting one, filled with hot eyes battled by a stubborn persistence not to cry. A battle of 'I want to's...' and 'I shouldn't's.' 

My breath shudders as I prepare to walk into the apartment. Charlie, our wonderful manager, will be right in front, and I won't cry in front of him. 

"Hey Charlie," I say, feigning happiness. He gives me the biggest smile, almost too happy it seems. His eyes light up to, like he knows some wonderful secret that has been sitting inside him for far too long. 

"Wonderful day, isn't it?" 

"You could say that," I proceed into the elevator and up to the fifth floor, but just before I turn the handle of my door, a weird feeling comes over me. Like someone's watching me. With a shudder, I open the door and take a step in before letting out a scream.

Kyrie- 

I'm sitting on her bed, holding my head in my hands, the bouquet of flowers strewn on the table when the door opens, filling the dim room with golden light. I practically jump up from the bed, and Sabrina stumbles backwards letting out a little yelp. 

"No!" I say, frantically. "It's just me. It's Kyrie." The door having closed behind her, she flicks on a light. Her eyes are red like she's been crying. 

"Kyrie? What are you doing here? Why did- How did- " 

I grab the bouquet of pathetic flowers, which droop from the flight here, because I was stupid enough to buy them in Utah. 

"I'm here because I messed up and I want to apologize. Well, I want to do more than just apologize." I take a deep breath. There's a lot I have to say to her, and I'm not sure where to begin, so I just start. 

"I've been in Park City, Utah the past few weeks with Kev, training. It's quiet there and it's peaceful and I had time to think. I wanted to make it right with you, but I didn't know how. It took Kevin telling me to man up to bring me here today. When I texted you I'm sorry, I knew that it wouldn't account for all that has happened, but it was the simplest way I could sum everything up. 

I figure out what my problem was, Sab, it was my ego. I didn't want to believe that I had made such a big mistake and I didn't want to believe that it was my fault. But it was. It was only my fault. So I'm here, in person, to apologize for everything that happened. I'm sorry, Sab, for ruining our last night by A, bringing you to hang out with the guys, and B, getting drunk when I asked you to be my girlfriend. I'm sorry for freaking out on you about Klay. I'm sorry about not giving you time, but I'm also sorry that I distanced myself from you. I let you go when I should have begged you to stay. 

I want you to forgive me, Sabrina, but I also want you to take me back. Even though I know deep down things don't always work out like that. I had to come here and I had to tell you that I missed you. Every day I would go to my phone to text you or snap you, before remembering that I couldn't. Because we didn't do that anymore. And I didn't realize how much having you in my life made me happy until it was gone. And I had a whole speech planned out but I got flustered and now I'm just rambling and I brought you these flowers but they didn't quite make it and I'm sorry and I promise that if you give me a second chance nothing like that will ever happen again. You special, Sab, and I don't want you out of my life." There. I said it. Now it's all up to her. 

She steps closer to me, and I can see her eyes filled with tears, like mine. She grabs the flowers from me and examines them before setting them down on the table. 

"I- I told myself that should you ever try to make amends with me, I would turn you down flat. I told myself I didn't even want to hear what you had to say," She says, coming even closer until our bodies are touching. I hold her gaze and I want to kiss her, but I know I can't. I can't come here after three weeks and apologize, then pick up and kiss the hell out of her like everything is normal. No matter how much I want to. 

"But the thing is, Kyrie, as soon as I knew it was you, I didn't remember even one of those plans or one of those sentences I've practiced over and over and over. And well that may be," She takes a step back now and I want to pull her back, but I don't. "I can't stand here and pretend like that didn't hurt. I also can't let you think that it was all your fault because it was mine too. And no matter how we feel, things don't just go straight back to normal after this." 

'Normal' I want to say. 'How about better.' But I hold my tongue, I said what I came to say, now, for once, I'm going to let her decide. 

"But we can damn well try." With that, I pull her into a hug that lasts until both of our shirts have tear stains on them.

A/N

The valiant couple returns! 

p.s thank you all for 2.3K reads!!!!!!