Ch 7: For The Man Who Has Everything

The Fortress of Solitude

Wonder Woman's invisible plane emerged from the clouds, heading for a massive chunk of ice that seemed out of place in the otherwise-featureless frozen plain. The plane made a dive into the water at the edge of the ice, and headed into a tunnel carved into the wall.

"A little sharp on the turn, don't you think?" Batman asked.

"Sorry if I scared you." Wonder Woman's apology was filled with sarcasm.

Braedey only laughed, which he quickly silenced as Batman gave him one of his infamous Batglares. Braedey had learned that whenever Batman did that, you stopped whatever earned it.

As the plane surfaced in an icy cavern, the cockpit opened and the three hopped out. Wonder Woman stopped to pull out a box that was covered in wrapping. Braedey had a small disk, similarly wrapped.

As they walked up a flight of stairs, Batman asked, "So, what'd you get him?"

Braedey shrugged. "Something I made with Wheeljack and Soundwave; I thought he could use something to have fun with."

Wonder Woman shook her head. "I'm not saying anything; he'll hear you and spoil the surprise."

"You do realize." Batman said in a stage-whisper. "He can hear that too."

Wonder Woman shook her head. "What did you get him?"

"He isn't the easiest person to buy birthday presents for." Batman pulled out an envelope.

"Bruce..." Began Wonder Woman.

"Dude, did you get him a gift certificate!?"

"No!" Batman snapped at Braedey, "...Cash."

Both Braedey and Wonder Woman struggled not to laugh.

"I mean," continued Batman, "what do you get for the man who has everything?"

As they reached the top of the stairs, they froze. Standing in front of them was Superman; however, he was in no shape to greet them. A strange purple plant had its vines wrapped around his body, and he had a blank look in his eyes. The three rushed towards him.

Batman examined the plant closely. "It seems to be growing through his costume and into his body."

"Is he breathing?" asked Wonder Woman worriedly.

"Barely." The Dark Knight responded.

"How could something like a plant pierce his skin?" Braedey asked. "I've seen the guy shake off energy weapons and crash through solid metal and not take a scratch."

"A question for another time." Batman said. "We need to help him, and find out who did this."

"Someone must have breached the Fortress!" Exclaimed Wonder Woman.

"Agreed. You and Braedey have a look around."

Wonder Woman flew on ahead while Braedey activated the Transformatrix, selected his form, and slammed the dial down.

"ARCEE!" The blue-and-pink femme shifted into her motorcycle form, and sped off in another direction.

Batman took out a flashlight from his utility belt and shined it in Superman's eyes. "Pupils aren't contracting even slightly." He muttered to himself. "He must be cut off from all sensation. Kent, where are you?"

Batman looked down at the container at Superman's feet. It was two halves of an oval-shaped package. Batman swiftly figured out what happened. "So it was a gift." He surmised, as he picked up one of the halves. "Teleported here by some alien culture or some grateful world. Or someone who wanted you to think that they were grateful."