Ch 27: Chaos at the Earth's Core

Tokyo, Japan

Throughout Tokyo, people fled as two giants wrestled throughout the city. One giant was a monster, a mutated turtle, easily capable of crushing a building. The other giant was an alien from another universe.

"I am so having turtle soup after this," Metroplex grunted, "just to spite you!"

The turtle only roared in response, then punched Metroplex in the gut, doubling him over. The creature then brought its clawed arm over his head, intending to bring it down onto Metroplex. However, the alien hero blocked the offending arm with his own, then hurled the turtle over his shoulder and towards the coast.

When the turtle hit the street, the shockwave sent a few pieces of debris falling towards some frightened civilians; fortunately, Green Lantern had been following the battling titans, using his ring to keep people out of harm's way.

The synthesized voice of S.T.R.I.P.E came from the Transformatrix dial. "The trap's all set guys; hurry it up!"

"Stow it, S.T.R.I.P.E," Lantern shot back, "and get in position!"

Metroplex stumbled back after the turtle clocked him in the jaw, then was sent flying even further when the creature hit him with a blast of energy from its mouth. Before the monster could capitalize on its advantage, a blast of white energy struck it in the chest, knocking it on its back. Metroplex looked up to see the person who had helped him; it was a young woman with blond hair, wearing a red, white and blue outfit with a few stars scattered across it. She waved at Metroplex with a golden, hooked staff, the source of her powers.

"You're welcome!" Stargirl cried out.

Lantern and Metroplex weren't the only heroes on the scene; S.T.R.I.P.E and Stargirl were also a part of the team sent to Japan. Stargirl had joked that the team was made entirely of people who relied on some gadget or something to give them their superhuman abilities, and the others had agreed; even Braedey, with all of his aliens, was just a normal human without the Transformatrix.

Metroplex was yanked back into the present when the giant turtle roared and tried to stand. Stargirl used her staff's energy to surround the creature in a field of white energy that connected to her staff, and tried to pull it into the air. However, the creature was simply too large; Stargirl was only wasting energy.

"Wait for Lantern and Metroplex, Stargirl," S.T.R.I.P.E admonished, as he flew near her, "You'll give yourself a hernia!"

"I've got it, Pat!" Stargirl grunted, as she referred to her stepfather by name.

On the ground, the turtle spat out another blast of energy, severing the beam emitted by the staff; surprised, Stargirl flew out of control, and would have hit a building, had Metroplex not caught her in his giant hand.

"Now we're even," Metroplex deadpanned.

S.T.R.I.P.E, no longer distracted by his stepdaughter being in danger, shot several energy-blasts of his own into the back of the now-standing turtle, forcing it to its knees; in response, the creature withdrew its limbs and head into its shell, while jets of fire shot from the holes where its limbs would be, propelling it into the air and towards its attackers.

"Okay, I didn't know he could fly," Metroplex said, "let's go!"

S.T.R.I.P.E, Metroplex, a now-flying Stargirl and Green Lantern, who'd finally joined them, led the creature out to the bay, where a single cargo ship was waiting. It hadn't been hard for Lantern's ring to analyze what had turned the turtle into a monster, and it had been even easier for Ratchet to whip up a chemical to reverse the effect. The only downside was that the chemical was harmful to humans; thankfully, the gas quickly dissipated, but they still needed to get the creature away from the civilians. They had synthesized a large amount of the gas and placed it on an old cargo ship; all they had to do was lure the creature there.