Ch 15: Waking The Dead

The Tower of Fate

Aquaman, King of Atlantis, had fought monsters, robots, demons and even traitors to the throne. Right now, however, he'd face all of them combined for the opportunity to make his current opponent more challenging.

"It's your move, Hawkgirl."

Across the chessboard sat Shayera Hol, an expression of apathy on her face. To the side of them sat Amazo, watching the game with interest. Shayera moved a piece, only to have it taken by Aquaman's queen.

"Check in five moves." He declared.

"We'll see." Responded Shayera.

Considering how badly he was beating her, Aquaman didn't really doubt that he'd win. "Diana told me you used to regularly beat Batman; difficult to believe from the current, pitiful level of your game."

Shayera said nothing as she moved another piece.

Aquaman responded with a move of his own, then said, "I should have known better than to expect a proper challenge from a woman." Aquaman didn't mean it; he was only trying to bring the old Shayera back, even though the old Shayera would've punched him in the face for his comment.

Once again, Shayera said nothing.

"Such scintillating repartee." he said sarcastically, then sighed. "I get better conversation from the android." Amazo tilted his head at Aquaman's comment.

You are aware that I am in the room?

As soon as Shayera made another move, Aquaman responded and said, "Check."

Shayera stared at the board for a moment, then knocked over her king, signifying that she had given up.

"I win again," Aquaman said sarcastically, "huzzah."

"It's just a game." Replied Shayera.

Rather upset that she'd given up so easily, Aquaman knocked the board across the room.

"You disgust me!" he growled. Again, it was an attempt to provoke a reaction from the old Shayera.

Instead, she simply stood up and looked him in the eye.

"Join the club." Then she walked out of the room.

"I could have told you that wouldn't work." Aquaman turned to see Dr. Fate step out of the shadows.

"She was once one of the fiercest warriors I'd ever met," said Aquaman, "what's she doing here?"

"Trying to find her way." answered Fate, "Leaving the Justice League was difficult for her; I provided her sanctuary, a place to meditate on her life and future. We must allow her the time she needs to..." Fate trailed off and touched his helmet for a moment. "Excuse me."

He lifted into the air as a purple ankh appeared behind him, then he disappeared. Before Aquaman could wonder what had happened, the fallen chessboard and pieces floated across his vision and set themselves up. The android looked up from where he was sitting.

New game?

~*~*~
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Dr. Fate approached the grave of a man he'd helped bury, and knew that there was a problem; the grave was empty. He reached for his communicator.

"J'onn? It's Dr. Fate." He stared at the headstone of Solomon Grundy. "We may have a problem."