Ch 36: Destroyer (The Final Chapter)

When Kara Zor-El Martin announced that she was pregnant, there were several different reactions, depending on who was told. When the Kent family found out, they wrapped the new family in a giant hug, then proceeded to throw a huge party. When Solus found out, she wept tears of joy for finding out that she would be a great-grandmother. When Barbara Gordon found out, she jumped for joy for her best friend. When the ladies in the Justice League found out, they began planning a baby shower.

However, the first person that Kara told was her husband; when she did, Braedey blacked out. When he came to, he spent the next hour dancing around the house, overjoyed that he and Kara would be parents.

Of course, after the announcement was made, Bruce Wayne brought up an interesting point: what was a Kryptonian pregnancy like, especially when the child was only half-Kryptonian? This resulted in the Tennysons going to the Fortress of Solitude, where the Kryptonian technology scanned a nervous Kara.

Fortunately, the results were all positive; whatever issues that might have come up had been stabilized by the Transformatrix. Another matter that came up was that while Kara would have a 9-month pregnancy, just like a human, the baby's development, combined with Kryptonian physiology, was such that she could still be active in the League until the fourth month.

Braedey had, at first, not wanted his wife to go on missions at all, but Kara had been adamant; she wasn't going to stop doing her job until it was too dangerous for their child. Still, she promised not to go on any space-missions, as well as stopping League work the moment she felt uncomfortable. This was enough for most of the League, though they all agreed to keep an eye on Kara, just in case.

All in all, it was a good time for the League; which of course meant that that it wouldn't last for much longer.

~*~*~
Space, 1 Month Later

It is said that desperation is the mother of invention, and Lex Luthor was very desperate; over the last month, he had tried again and again to revive Brainiac from the small fragment, but to no avail. However, Tala had shown that the piece was connected to more pieces in space; several years ago, Brainiac had had a space station inside of a hollowed-out asteroid, but the Justice League had destroyed it. With Tala's assistance, Luthor discovered where the base was; with renewed hope, he turned the Secret Society into a construction-crew, turning their base into a giant starship.

Of course, a number of members of the Society weren't happy to be press-ganged into service like that, but Luthor couldn't care less.

All had been going well, as the Society traveled at faster-than-light speeds towards the coordinates, until a mutiny broke out, led by a now-freed Grodd. Now, Luthor and the villains still loyal to him were fighting for their lives.

However, after a few minutes of battle, Luthor's side realized that while Grodd had dozens of supervillains at his side, Luthor had the most of the more powerful of the villains at his. Emboldened by this, Luthor's faction redoubled their efforts, and soon had Grodd's forces on the defensive.

Grodd, on the other hand, didn't even care anymore. Luthor had been the source of a good deal of misery for him, and all he wanted was revenge. Ignoring the fight, he chased after Luthor, until finally, a pair of giant hands plucked him into the air. Grodd looked up at the owner of those hands and gave a weak smile.

"Giganta," he said meekly, "how's your head?"

"Pretty good," Giganta replied, "considering you tried to fry my brain!"

With that, she began to squeeze, driving the air from Grodd's lungs; the ape began to feel his bones breaking, when the pressure suddenly ceased, and he fell to the ground.