Ch 33: Dead Reckoning

Nandeparvak, The Himalayas

Within the innermost sanctum of the temple of Nandeparvak, the Master of the order of monks waited for many things. The next level of enlightenment was usually what he waited for, but today, he awaited something a little more tangible—in a manner of speaking.

"I know you are here, Boston Brand," the Master said in a gravelly voice.

In front of him materialized a pale-skinned figure that floated in the air. His skin was drawn back, giving him a skeletal appearance, and his skintight, red outfit did nothing to hide his emaciated form.

"What's the point of being a flippin' ghost if you can't even sneak up on people?" Boston Brand, AKA Deadman, asked in a thick, Brooklyn accent, "For that matter, what's the point of me being a ghost, period? It's been over a year since I caught the man who murdered me."

"So," the Master said, not even opening his eyes, "your work here is done? You are ready to pass on to the next level?"

"I don't know what 'ready' means," Deadman said, "but I feel like I've done my time."

"And yet," the Master replied, "here you are."

"Here you are?" Deadman echoed, "What kinda lousy wisdom is 'here you are'?"

"If you seek knowledge, you have but to ask."

"I've avenged my own death," Deadman said, then asked, "Why am I still here?"

"Your destiny is not to avenge your own death," the Master said slowly, "your destiny is to avenge mine."

"What?" Deadman asked.

~*~*~

Outside the temple, a single sentry stood watch over the entrance, despite the raging blizzard. Like most nights, nothing moved, save for the snow; this was as it should be. However, the stillness was broken by a sudden light that appeared before the warrior. From the light stepped several people; though the warrior did not know their names, he could feel the negative energies that flowed from them.

The first people through the magical portal was Lex Luthor, Bizarro, Devil Ray, Atomic Skull and a large, orange-skinned woman named Rampage. Next came a purple-haired woman in a thin, revealing dress. This was Tala, the former head of the magical branch of Cadmus. She gestured with her hands; with that gesture, the portal opened wider, and dozens of Devil Ray's troops marched through, weapons ready.

"Grodd never sends us anyplace nice," Devil Ray complained.

"This humble one begs your forgiveness," the sentry said, drawing his sword, "but to enter this sacred place, the right must be earned."

Devil Ray's smirk was hidden by his helmet, as he pointed his stinger-launchers at the man and killed him with a single shot.

"Keep the change."

~*~*~

The monks within the temple looked up, startled, as several heavy blows rang against the entranceway doors. With one final strike, they shattered, and the monks could see a satisfied Rampage rub her fist with her other hand before leading the other villains inside.

The monks offered no resistance, backing away submissively; if anyone had checked their faces, however, they would have seen a grim resolve flit across their features. As the villains reached the central building of the temple, a single monk, a young boy, stood in their way at the top of the stairs.

"This humble one begs your forgiveness," he said calmly, "but no outsider is permitted in the temple of Nandeparvak."

Luthor nodded at Atomic Skull, who walked up to the boy and raised his fist.