Ch 9: Fearful Symmetry

Gilbert Halstrom ran for his life through the streets of Metropolis, though he ran in vain. Nothing would stop his pursuer; nothing could stop his pursuer. He tried to open a door, but it was locked. Before he could force it open, two red beams struck the knob, melting it into a red puddle. Halstrom turned to see his hunter land in front of him.

"What's with the running, Doc?" asked Supergirl, in a sadistic tone. "We both know how this is gonna turn out."

"I didn't tell anyone!" said a panicking Halstrom. "I swear!"

"Good, then you're the only loose end." Thanks to her super-hearing, Supergirl heard the sound of several guns cocking a few blocks away. She turned to face them, but one of her ambushers fired a shot. The beam of energy was Kryptonite-based, so it actually hurt her when it grazed her arm.

Clutching at her wound, she glared at her enemies. While Halstrom ran, she disappeared in a blur of motion, appearing in front of one of the gunmen. She grabbed his rifle and smashed it across his head. One of the others tried to fire a shot, but Supergirl heaved the unconscious body of his companion into him.

Several more shots hit the ground near Supergirl's feet; she turned her head up to see three more attackers using jetpacks to rain fire down on her. Supergirl flew into the air, easily dodging the Kryptonite lasers. Flying down into the city, she used her heat-vision to slice off a chunk of a building; said chunk slammed down onto one of the gunmen, taking him out of the fight.

Supergirl flew down to street-level, almost touching the pavement, while still closely followed by her enemies. She tried to throw them off by flying into oncoming traffic, but to no avail. Trying something else, she flew up and behind a billboard and ripped it out of the building it was attached to. Raising it above her head, she slammed it down onto the remaining two men.

While dusting off his hands, she heard the panicked breathing of her original quarry. She easily caught up with him at a laboratory. Smashing open the doors, she marched inside, determined to finish what she'd started, only pausing to push her long hair behind her ear.

She was moving towards the back when a set of doors opened. They revealed a robot, similar in design to a Mars Rover, but instead of solar panels. It had a pair of torture-style clamps and a massive syringe-like probe in the center. Before she could react, the robot grabbed her arm and smashed her against a wall. Before she could free her arm, a panel opened up revealing a saw-blade. She had to use her free arm to prevent the blade from reaching her throat. Using her super-strength, she ripped it off, just in time to stop the syringe from piercing her throat. A small green point on the tip revealed that it was armed with Kryptonite.

Drawing up as much strength as she could muster, she ripped off the clamp and sent the robot flying across the room. It shattered into pieces. After taking a moment to catch her breath, she walked into the room that the robot had come from, where she found Halstrom was cowering in a corner.

"You can scream now, if you want." Supergirl had a sick smile on her face, as her eyes glowed red.

"AAAAAH!"

~*~*~

"AAAAAH!"

Kara ripped off the covers of her bed, trembling and covered in sweat. She looked around; she was in her room in the Kent house. She was in Smallville, not Metropolis; but why had she had a dream like this again? She wrapped her arms around her legs and tilted her head up.

In the ceiling were two holes, still smoking from heat vision.

~*~*~
Watchtower