Ch 21: Panic In The Sky

Cadmus Headquarters

"Hold still, Galatea," said Professor Hamilton, as he attached small device to his patient's head, "you're invulnerable. This can't possibly be hurting you."

"Boredom is my Kryptonite." The Kryptonian clone smiled wryly. "Actually, Kryptonite is my Kryptonite, but you know what I mean. Although the way I'm feeling lately, I don't even think that stuff can hurt me anymore."

"Think again," Hamilton warned, "I've artificially aged your body to its physical prime, but you're underlying DNA matrix is still a clone of Supergirl's."

Galatea narrowed her eyes; she hated getting compared to her "sister".

"I'm better than she ever was." When Hamilton moved his hand away from her face, she began to touch the silver strip on her forehead.

"Be careful with that," Hamilton warned, "it gives you remote-control over the Ultimen. These new Ultimen are blank slates; they can't do anything, not even think. They have no initiative and they feel no pain." Hamilton reached forward and pressed a red button on the strip, which lit up. "When this light is on, the Ultimen will be in puppet-mode. They are little more than an extension of your will."

Galatea smirked. "Wicked." She would have said more, but a new voice stopped her.

"It's time we got this show on the road." Amanda Waller stood in the doorway to Hamilton's lab. "Report to the staging area."

Galatea moved to follow her as she left, but hesitated at the doorway.

"What is it?" Hamilton asked.

"It's nothing." Galatea walked back to Hamilton and gently embraced him. "Good-bye, Daddy."

While not her biological father, Hamilton had, for all intents and purposes, raised her as his own. He was the only person in Cadmus that treated her like a person, not a weapon. And she knew that if she failed in her mission, the Justice League would come after him. She might come after him. Now, Galatea had one more reason to kill her.

~*~*~
The Watchtower

Throughout the massive station, repair-teams and Leaguers alike worked as fast as they could to get the systems up and running again. On the observation deck, J'onn worked with Steel. After a few minutes, several of the monitors began to light up and show images.

"Satellite connections are back online, at least." Commented Steel.

"How long before you can restore full power?" asked the Martian.

"Atom took Scrappy down to the reactor," Steel replied, "he said that they might be able to shave twenty minutes off the system reboot."

Before he could say more, a news report came in on one of the screens, with a reporter talking to various people, who were saying that they were afraid that the Justice League had attacked them. Superman looked away.

"Turn it off."

"Our sensors and long-range communications are still out," said the Martian, "this is the only information available."

Superman took a breath, then reached for his communicator. "Diana, John, Shayera, Wally, meet me in the main conference room, right now." As he turned to leave, he called out over his shoulder. "You too, J'onn."

...

Once present founding members were gathered together, Superman looked down at the table.

"What have we done?"