Ch 12: Familiar Faces

"Happy Birthday, Ben!"

Braedey smiled at the friends who'd decided to stop by his house and throw him an impromptu birthday celebration. Diana, Wally, Clark, John, and of course Kara had all come to see him.

"Thanks guys; it means a lot to me that you're all here." Braedry actually struggled to keep tears from falling.

"Hey, no problem," said Wally West as he threw an arm over Braedey's shoulder in a comradely fashion, "after all, you only turn nineteen once."

Braedey was going to reply, but Kara walked up and kissed him, causing his mind to draw a blank. Wally only smirked.

The heroes had been hanging out for some time, when they received a call from the Watchtower, which was answered by Clark.

"Is it a world-saving crisis, Batman?"

"It might be." Came the voice of the Dark Knight, "At any rate, Dr. Fate asked me to contact you."

The others tensed; it had only been a couple of week since the Amazo incident, and Fate had been the android's supervisor. If Fate was calling them...

"Did Amazo decide to destroy the world or something?" asked Braedey. It might have been his birthday, but if he was needed, he'd be there.

"Fate said that something has come to Earth from another universe," said Batman, "sound familiar?"

Everyone present froze; the other heroes looked a Braedey, who had a thoughtful expression on his face.

"Hey Bats," asked Braedey, "did Fate say if this person or object was from my universe?"

"He didn't, but he said that he could show us an image of what appeared, and that he wanted the opinion of someone who's been to other universes."

Braedey looked at his friends, who nodded at him, as if to tell him that they would support him if he needed the backup. He returned the gesture.

"Okay, I can get brought up now; everyone else needs to get sent to their rooms to get into costume."

As Braedey started to move to another room to grab his jacket, he felt a hand on his shoulder; he turned to see Kara with a sad expression.

"Sorry something like this had to happen on your birthday, Braedey."

Braedey shrugged. "It's no big deal; I'm so used to something freaky happening to me, I'm almost disappointed when it doesn't."

A sly smile appeared on Kara's face. "What about when it's just us?"

A similar smile appeared on Braedey. "You're the exception; I'm never disappointed when it's just us."

Blushing, but still keeping the smile, Kara gave Braedey a quick kiss before he was teleported away.

~*~*~
Watchtower

"I have no idea what it is," said Fate as the heroes assembled in front of him; Braedey was the only one not in costume, since everyone present knew his identity, "but the amount of power that it displayed as it entered our universe was staggering."

"If you could sense power like that, how come you didn't sense Braedey when he came into our universe?" asked Flash, "I mean, the kid's got a lot of power."