Chapter Three

Don't Fear the Reaper

"We never would have found this place without a tracking spell! It's all so apple pie." Dean comments as they pull over across the street from the house where the witch is holding Caitlin.

The house looks just like the others in the neighborhood. Neatly clipped lawn, fresh looking paint, well maintained exterior, and a tidy little porch. They swiftly load their guns and conceal them in their waistbands before approaching the little house.

Sam stands in front of Dean, blocking him from view as he easily picks the lock, and they enter. "What, no dead rabbits or satanic symbols?" Dean asks sarcastically as they search the house.

"Just one door left, she must be in there." Sam says quietly, pointing to the last door in the house.

They stealthily approach the door and pause to listen. They can only hear one voice, which makes them hopeful there is only one witch. '1, 2, 3.....' Dean mouths. On three, they burst through the door and rush down the stairs with guns drawn. They spare a split second to take in the scene in front of them as they reach the bottom.

"Cat!" Dean shouts, seeing Caitlin laying on a bloodstained table.

There are cuts crisscrossing her body in bleeding lines. Her blood is close to overflowing the bowl placed to capture it. Caitlin, incredibly pale under the crimson, hasn't moved since they burst in. Her eyes are closed, and they can't tell if she is even breathing.

"You're too late." the witch cackles. "In a few minutes your precious Caitlin will be dead and her blood will open the doors for the reign of witches!"

Before he can react, Dean is soaring across the room, crashing into a bookshelf. The books rain down on his bruised body as he is momentarily stunned.

"Dean!" Sam shouts, moving to aim at the witch. Just as he shoots, she sends him flying through the air, his shot missing its mark. He slams into a table covered in parchment and gets back to his feet. He sees Dean is back on his feet as well, and they exchange a meaningful look, making a plan in their subtle movements.

They hear the witch chanting as they're suddenly plunge into subzero temperatures. Their lips turn blue, their skin frosting over as they shake violently. The witch claps her hands together and gloats over them. "It's almost complete! You're too weak to stop a powerful Natural like myself, I've been practicing the art for centuries!" she crows.

Dean can feel a numbness spreading through his body and knows he has a limited amount of time before he freezes to death. He gathers all his strength and steadies his shaking hand enough to put a witch killing bullet right between her eyes. He's surprised at his lucky shot.

"Not today, bitch." he spits as she drops to the floor, dead. With her death, Mággisa's spell dissipates, allowing the brothers to jump into action.

Wasting no time, Sam and Dean rush to Caitlin's side. While Dean frees her from the shackles, Sam checks for a pulse.

"Dean" he says worriedly. "Her pulse is rapid, but barely there. We need to get her to a hospital, NOW!" He rips off his outer shirt and tears it into strips. He ties these around the worst of her wounds, trying to slow her bleeding out. He also notices her lips are turning blue, not a good sign.

Dean finally gets her free, scoops her off the table, wraps her in his jacket to keep her warm, and cradles her against his chest as they rush up the stairs and to the Impala. He quickly passes her to Sam in the backseat. Sam quickly elevates her legs, not her head, to keep blood flowing to her brain. Dean jumps into the driver's seat and barrels toward the nearest hospital.