Chapter Eighteen

Behind These Hazel Eyes

I completely freeze at that, "N-no, they can't be..." I deny desperately "Stop joking, it's not funny."

"It appears her eyes didn't fully heal." I hear Cas say sadly.

"What do you mean? I thought reuniting her soul and body would heal her! Her scars are gone and she has her eyes back too." Sam interjects.

"She's the first that I am aware of to come back from a smiting. Perhaps it was too much power to overcome completely." Cas suggests.

"You can heal them, right?" Kevin asks, sounding guilty.

"I'm afraid my power levels are too low for a single healing." Cas replies, sounding apologetic, "It will have to be done in stages, much like what I am doing for Sam."

"How long?" I ask, finally accepting the truth and terrified of the answer. I have a feeling it will be weeks or even months. I went from surviving on my own and killing monsters to completely helpless and having to rely on others. This constant switch from victim to hero to victim is going to give me whiplash! Just once, can't something work out in my favor?"

"A few weeks at least. I'm sorry, Caitlin." he replies.

I deflate at that, tears filling my eyes. Kevin crawls up next to me, his familiar scent of parchment and mint comforting me. "It's okay, we'll get through this." he whispers comfortingly to me. I hear movement as everyone else leaves the room. Either they want to give us our space, or they want to discuss something where we, or more likely I, can't hear. "I'm so sorry, Caitlin. This happened because of me." Kevin whispers brokenly.

Apparently blaming one's self runs in our little family, even if there is no blood relation. "It was my choice. I knew the consequences and accepted them." I tell him firmly. "I'm just glad you've given me a second chance at life. Dean told me the rescue was your idea."

"We were afraid we had completely killed you." Kevin tells me. "After that bright flash, we found your body healed, but you were unconscious and only Cas could even sense you were still alive."

"How long was I out?" I ask curiously. I seem to be very good at staying unconscious for days. I remember talking to Cas about it and he mentioned it might have to do with what I am. He's not sure how, but the current consensus is demon and angel sides fighting for control while I'm out.

"Four days, twelve hours, and thirty nine minutes." Kevin replies and I can sense how hard those days were on him. I hate that I do this to him. He's always having to worry about me. My plan set him free from that, but his plan put us right back where we were. I won't complain, though. It's a dream come true to have more time with him. I often dreamed of it while in Purgatory.

"Wow, I'm sorry I worried y'all." I say contritely.

"You're alive, that's all I care about." he replies, kissing me tenderly. I snuggle up against him and feel myself drifting off. "Go to sleep." he tells me. "I'll watch over you." I obey and quickly fall into a deep sleep.

POVPOVPOVPOVPOV

"She's strong, Dean. She'll pull through this. With Cas' help, she'll be back to her stubborn self in no time." Sam reassures Dean. They had left the room to give Kevin and Caitlin some privacy and were now in the kitchen.