Chapter Six

Beauty from Pain

When I wake up, I find a note on my side table.

Caitlin,

Kevin called with news on the tablet so we are going to go see him. We should be back in a few days. If anything comes up, we got you a cell phone and put our numbers into it. We also found a cane to help you get around. Have fun and don't leave the Bunker.

Sam and Dean

Next to the note is the cell phone they got me and leaning against the little table is a cane. I check and sure enough, their numbers are in it. Just for fun, I change their names to Moose and Squirrel to annoy them if they ever see. I lay here, wondering how I'm going to entertain myself for the next few days since I can't move around too much due to still weak muscles.

Then it hits me, this is when they begin the trials that lead to pain and heartbreak. I become really sad and decide to text Sam.

Me: Be careful, I'll try not to trash the Bunker while y'all are gone ;)

I check the time and am shocked! It's already five in the afternoon and I just woke up.

I realize I haven't been taking my meds, and evidently, last night was enough to cause another episode.

The phone vibrates and it's Sam.

Moose: Did you just wake up?

Me: Yeah, last night triggered another episode

Moose: You haven't been taking your meds?

Me: I'm a very forgetful person :/

Moose: Promise you'll start taking them again. I don't want you to have a really bad episode while we're gone

Moose: Check in every day so we know you're okay

Me: Alright :)

Moose: And don't overwork yourself, you're still weak from your coma. There is some food in the freezer, help yourself

I get up and make the slow journey into the kitchen, with the help of the cane, to see what they left to eat. I can tell the boys went shopping because the freezer is stocked with frozen chicken nuggets and pizzas.

I throw a pizza in the oven and when it's done, I grab it and a coke and head to the library. I collapse into a chair at the table as my strength leaves me. After I finish, I grab my journal and write down everything that happened. I must fall asleep, because I wake up to my phone vibrating on the table.

I check the time and it's already noon. This is normal because I had stayed up really late the night before. I open the message from Dean.

Squirrel: Just checking in to make sure you're awake and safe

Me: I'm fine, just stayed up super late writing in my journal

Squirrel: Okay, Sam and I got a case up in Idaho. We may not be back for a few days. Will you be okay on your own?

Me: I'll be fine. Just be safe, both of you

I finish up my journal entry and go about my day. I grab a new book to read and settle in.

I continue in this fashion for a few days until Sam and Dean finally return.

"We're back!" Sam calls as they descend the stairs early in the morning.

"Welcome back, guys! How's Kevin?" I reply, having been in the library extremely early that morning.

"Stressed and running himself into the ground." Sam says sadly.