Chapter Eight

Little Talks

A week later, Sam and Dean catch a case.

"Zombies? Are you sure?" I ask as they explain the case while we pack up.

"We won't know for sure until we get there, but all signs are pointing to it." Dean replies, seeming a bit excited.

They drop me off at Garth's houseboat before heading out, per our arrangement. I do the secret knock Dean taught me and Kevin opens the door. "Who are you?" he asks, squinting in the bright sunlight. He looks like he has barely slept or had a decent meal in weeks, not to mention a shower.

"I'm Caitlin." I reply, "Sam and Dean dropped me off while they go hunting."

He still seems confused, but he lets me in, not before hitting me with holy water though. "Just had to make sure." he apologizes, as I stand there, dripping.

"No problem." I tell him, even though I'm a bit peeved at being soaked.

"I can't afford any distractions so please don't bother me." he says as he returns to deciphering the tablet.

"I brought a few books because I knew you wouldn't want to talk." I reply amiably. I go into the bathroom to change into something dry before pulling one of my books out. I plop down in a chair and read until my phone buzzes.

Squirrel: How's everything going?

Me: As well as expected. Kevin is ignoring me and working on the tablet so I'm just reading

Moose: Try to get him to take a few breaks

Me: I'll try, but no guarantees

Moose: Remember, don't stretch yourself too much, you still aren't quite up to full strength yet

We started a group text so that I wouldn't have to text them individually and it has made things much easier.

I turn and look at Kevin. "Sam and Dean want you to take a few breaks for some fresh air, and I've been put in charge of making sure it happens." I tell him.

"Whatever." he replies, not even looking up.

I return to reading my book, but eventually start to get hungry. Luckily, Sam and Dean left me some money with the instructions to keep my charm and hex bag on me if I left. "Let's go get some food, you must be tired of hot dogs by now." I suggest to Kevin.

"I'm good." he replies absently.

I get up, snatch the tablet off the table, and stuff it into the satchel the Winchesters got me. "You can have this back after we go get some food." I state sternly, taking my role very seriously. He gives me a dirty look, but he must see the stubbornness in my stance because he gets up. "First, you need a shower." I say as I catch a whiff of him.

"Who made you the boss?" he asks disparagingly.

"The Winchesters" I reply assert. He grumbles, but heads to the bathroom to take a shower.

As soon as he finishes, we head to a nearby diner. After we order our food, Kevin turns to me. "So who exactly are you?" he asks.

"I told you, I'm Caitlin."

"I know that." he says exasperatedly. "I mean, how did you end up with the Winchesters?"

"Ah, that's a long story." I hedge.