Chapter 3

Ethan's POV

I walked into the office.

"Oh. Hey, Ms. Blanchard."

"Good morning, Mr. Dolan and other Mr. Dolan."

"How was your weekend?" Grayson asked.

"Very good. Thank you for asking. How was yours? How are your parents?"

Ms. Blanchard has been a family friend for a while. She's like my aunt.

"They're doing good. You should come over and have dinner with us again or something soon."

"How was the dance?"

"Well... there was a mystery girl I danced with and she dropped her phone." I said sheepishly.

She took the phone, "you can leave it in here and wait for someone to come pick it up."

"Actually..." I looked at her, "I was hoping we could make a quick announcement."

"Why?"

"Because when we danced, it felt like we were speaking the same language. I haven't danced like that in so long."

"Ethan, I love you like my own son, and I'm sure you know that, but I don't want other kids thinking that this office shows favoritism."

"Ms. Blanchard. Please?" I begged.

"Okay but if anyone asks, I wasn't the one that let you in." she gave in.

"Thank you."

She unlocked the door and we turned on the intercom.

"So uhhh... Ethan, being the good samaritan–and extra person– he is, has a little announcement to make."

"Thanks for that introduction Grayson." I kicked him off the chair to sit, "I danced with someone on Saturday. Problem is, I don't know who you are. You dropped your phone. If you're that girl, bring me your throwback picture with your dad that is used as your lockscreen and we'll see if it was really you. Thanks, I hope to see you soon." I turned off the intercom mic.

"I was nowhere near done with your introduction." Grayson rolled his eyes.

"And I'm nowhere near caring."

Jordyn's POV

I checked my laptop right after I woke up. I don't have a first period so I get to sleep in a little more.

Dyl Pickle: Ethan's going crazy over this phone situation

Me: wdym???

Dyl Pickle: because he's one of the "hot" guys at school, girls have been walking up to him claiming that it's their phone

Me: how do they even know about that

Dyl Pickle: bc ya boy announced it, said if it's your phone, bring the pic of you and your dad that was used as your lockscreen to prove it.

He sent me an audio of the announcement.

Oh brother. Why couldn't he have just turned it in to the lost and found like a normal person? I don't wanna have to face him and he's disappointed that I'm not one of those pretty, popular girls in the school that think I rule the school and everyone should and has to praise me.

I got up and got ready for the day. The bell rang right when I stepped foot onto the school. I texted Dylan, I found one of my old phones and used an extra SIM card I found. I was in the middle of texting until I bumped into something, or rather someone, and dropped my books.

"Watch where you're g–" it was Ethan, I shook my head, "sorry. I didn't mean to bump into you." I stroked some hair behind my ear.

"It's okay. I shouldn't be walking backwards." he smiled and helped me pick up my books, "Aren't you in my government class?"

"Yeah."

"I'll see you later then." he turned back around and walked away. Dylan walked over to me.

"Did you just talk to Ethan Dolan?"

"He bumped into me and helped me pick up my books."

"Did you tell him about the phone thing?"

"Ugh, Dylan. I'm just gonna wait until this blows over and he just hands it over to the office. I don't wanna get it and he finds out it's me and is disappointed because I'm not one of the pretty, popular girls."

"Hey. You may not be popular but you're pretty. Okay?" he put an arm over me and we walked to Spanish together.

Ethan's POV

That girl. Her voice sounded familiar, but I hadn't met her before. Or at least I don't think I have...

"Hey Ethan." Madison sat on my desk.

"Oh. Okay. Wow. Madison. Hey." I said, that caught me off guard.

"I'm sad I missed you at the dance." she played with my hair.

I grabbed her hand and removed it from my head. "Yeah well, I got busy."

"Maybe next time." she bit her lip.

"Leave him alone, Madison. He's not into girls like you, he wants a girl like me." Maia winked.

I gave her an awkward look. They make me so uncomfortable. They've liked me since the sixth grade. No matter how many times I turn them down, they don't take "no" for an answer.

Thank god the bell rang. I couldn't stop thinking about the phone. What if the girl doesn't come get it? What if she doesn't even go to this school?

A note got passed to me.

I know who your mystery girl is. A girl named Gabriella wrote.

Who? I replied.

Her name is Jordyn. Find her and you've got your mystery girl.

Last name?

Idk, I just know her name's Jordyn.

So she goes here then?

Yup.

How do you know her and that she's the girl?

Don't worry about that.

I kept the note. Jordyn. Jordyn. What if it's the girl in my gov class? I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

"Yo if our teacher doesn't come in the next 15 minutes we get to dip." someone in my class shouted, everyone cheered.