Chapter 16

Jordyn's POV

"My dad... my dad never mentioned my mom..." I looked at my phone.

"Are you sure?" Taylor asked.

"I'm positive."

Hallie walked into the room, "how are you feeling?"

"I could be better."

"I brought in a fresh set of heating pads for you." she switched out the pads.

"Ma?" I looked at her.

"Hm?"

"Is my biological mother still alive?"

She paused for a second, "why are you asking me that question?"

"Because she called me today I guess. Left a few messages."

"That woman left you and your father without saying a word."

"Which is why he got remarried? Because he was over everything?"

"In a sense, yes."

"If she hadn't left, my whole life would be different. My dad, the most important man in my life, would and/or could still be alive." I suddenly have all this built up anger within me. "That was only the first message."

"How many more are there?"

"Three." I scoffed, "I don't think I wanna listen to the rest of them."

"I don't even think that was the entire first message." Taylor piped in.

"Let's listen to them." Hallie sat down.

"Jordyn. It's me again. It's your biological mom. Just wanted to check in with you. Hope you and your dad are safe and doing well. I wanna meet up with you if that's alright with your dad. Tomorrow at the park around noon, where he and I first met. I reckon he takes you there a lot." she chuckled, "I hope I get to see you guys. Love you."

"I don't want you meeting up with her, especially in this condition. Kids, can we have the room please?"

Dylan and Taylor walked out. Taylor shut the door behind her.

"There has to be another reason why you don't want me to see her."

"She left you and your dad. Your father was torn. He drove over here and asked us for some advice and for some help. He was afraid of taking care of you alone."

"How did my life end up like this?"

"I don't mean to pin the blame on her and sound like a bitch, but everything is her fault. If she hadn't left, your life wouldn't be this way."

"I have you don't I?"

She stroked a strand of hair behind my ear, "if you're feeling better in the morning, you can go to school. We have clothes for you here you can wear."

"Thanks, ma." She got up and walked away.

the following morning

I was still a little sore, but I could manage. The pain was tolerable. But instead of driving solo, I carpooled with Dylan because I don't think I'll be going home anytime soon.

"But then like–"

"Hold on." I grabbed Maia's collar and slammed her against the wall.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"You and your sister just started a war that you're not going to win. Do you get that? You're too much of cowards to actually fight for yourselves so you get other people to do your dirty work for you." I tightened my grip, "I don't play games that way."

"Jordyn, calm down." Dylan walked over to me.

"They say to never bring a knife to a gun fight." I let her go and walked away.

"Your father would be so ashamed of you and your hoe abouts." she called after me.

I turned back around. "Don't you dare bring my father into this."

"Why? Is the little girl going to cry about it?" she pouted.

"Why did your dad leave you exactly? There had to be a better reason other than your mom is a deadbeat and you and your sister are, what's the word... irrelevant."

"I–"

"Is the little girl gonna cry about it?" I mocked her. "Don't bring dads into this game. I would watch what comes out of my mouth next time. Come have your people beat me up again, now the whole school knows what cowards you and your sister are." I tightened the straps on my backpack, "have a nice day everyone."