Chapter 18

Jordyn's POV

"I'll see you later then?" Ethan asked.

"Text me." I smiled.

"Hey there." Dylan snuck behind me.

"Jesus Christ. I could've had a heart attack." I placed my hand on my chest.

"Quit being so extra." he rolled his eyes, "How was gov?"

"Ethan asked me how many more dates would be a good amount before he asks me to be his girlfriend."

"Oooooh. Little Jordyn is growing up." he pretended to wipe a tear off his cheek, "they grow up so fast."

"Shut up." I chuckled.

"How many did you say?"

"Told him to surprise me."

"Maybe he'll ask you the same time he asks you to prom."

"The winter formal was like two months ago."

"At some schools, Sadies is in February and their prom is in May, a few schools have it in June before graduation."

"Prom's next month. Whoa the similarity is uncanny."

"So maybe he'll ask then."

I stopped, "oh my god we graduate in June."

"Yes."

"Dylan, we're going to part ways."

"You make it seem like we're never gonna see each other ever again."

"It's gonna be so weird not saying 'I'll see you tomorrow' to you everyday..."

"We'll have breaks and vacations and FaceTime."

"Yeah but it's not going to be the same."

"We're going to be fine. You're gonna have to come visit your family every now and then."

"You guys are my only family."

"That's what I'm talking about. You'll come visit us from time to time."

"I don't know if I'm ready for this."

"You're going to be fine. We're going to be fine. Don't sweat it." he shrugged, "how're your bruises?"

"Surprisingly, they don't really hurt as much."

"Maybe it's the heating pads you used all last night."

"Maybe." I shrugged. Dylan and I are skipping our last few periods just to skip. A lot of other things have been going on. For example, Taylor's leaving for college soon. I'm gonna miss her. She's been like the sister I never had.

"We need to pick up a few more boxes before we actually get back to the house."

"I can't believe your mom's actually letting us ditch."

"Something seems a little fishy. I just can't put my finger on it just yet."

"Can I ask you something?"

He took a quick glance at me, "you're gonna ask anyway. So go for it."

"Are you happy for me?"

"Of course I am. I'm not gonna stop you from being happy for my own selfish reasons. Don't forget that okay? I care about you so much, your happiness is all I can ask for."

"Are you sure?"

"101% positive." he paused, "why?"

"I don't know. I just feel like you lowkey hate me and Ethan or something."

"Jordyn, I'm fine. I promise. You put others and their feelings before your own a lot. It's okay to want something for yourself from time to time."

I fumbled with my fingers, "all I ever do is worry about other people after what happened with my dad all those years ago. I just can't help it."

"Again, you're okay. We got you. We always got you."

We picked up some boxes and made our way home.

"You two are home early." Hallie looked through the mail.

"We figured since people are AP testing in our last few classes, there's gonna be no one there so what's the point in being there?" Dylan responded.

"You two have a few days left in school. You can't just ditch like that."

"Mamas, we–"

"Oh great. You guys got boxes." Taylor walked out. "Now we can continue packing."

"I'm gonna sit this one out." Dylan said.

"Loser." I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Oh, Jordyn. Laura dropped off some of your stuff here. I'm not completely sure why, but she dropped some stuff off." Hallie took a glance at me.

I gave her a confused look, "where'd you put it?"

"It's all in Taylor's room somewhere."

"Neato."

Taylor handed me a bunch of mail. But a particular one caught my eye. I placed the rest of the mail on her desk.

"What is it?" Taylor folded some of her shirts.

"A response from the dance school I applied to..." I trailed off. I began to open it. After reading the first few words, I gasped and dropped the letter.

"What does it say?"

I turned around, "I got accepted."

"CONGRATS!!"

"TAYLOR I GOT ACCEPTED." I stroked some hair behind my ear. "This means I get to leave Laura and the girls."

"What's up with all the screaming? I'm trying to nap." Dylan walked in.

"I got accepted into that dance academy I auditioned for. No big deal."

"CONGRATS!" he ran over to me and picked me up. "I'm so happy for you."

"Thanks bup."

"You get away from Laura and her demons now."

"I'm so happy. Truly blessed."

"Seems to have stuff from your dad in here as well." Taylor held up one of my picture frames.

"All of this is my dad's stuff. What the hell? Is she kicking me out of my own house?"

"We'll figure that out later. Right now, let's go celebrate your acceptance letter."