Cɦǟքȶɛʀ 7

You stumbled back into your house, shivering from the cold outside. You groaned as you plopped face first onto the couch in the living room, not bothering to take off your snowy scarf or hat.

"Any luck?" Your grandmother asked from the dining room.

"Nope." Came your muffled response, as you were still face down to the couch. You had a job interview today, your grandparents had suggested a few places to earn money so you could make it to Pax South. It was already selling out fast, and you were sure you had ruined a perfect job offer at an art workshop store. Social interaction wasn't your thing, you had made that obvious.

"I'm sorry (y/n), maybe I can look into other jobs. In the meantime, there is always babysitting.." She suggested. 

"I don't see that earning me anywhere near enough money anytime soon." You said sitting up and sighing. The truth was you loved kids, babysitting was one of the things you could let yourself earn money for, but the pay wasn't going to cut it. You were so excited to see that Sean was going to have his own panel at Pax South this year, and you knew he was most likely going to have a signing booth. You weren't going to meet him for an autograph (But you might as well get one anyways), but to see him face to face and actually talk, without the end call option. 

"How'd it go?" Your grandfather asked with a gruff voice as he entered the room. "You're getting snow all over the couch, just so you know."

"Sorry," You mumbled, getting up to move to a dining room chair. Ever since you apologized to your grandfather things hadn't changed as much as you expected. You were hoping for that whole life altering moment like in the movies, but the only good it did was now he accepted the fact you met someone online. "And I don't think it went well. I'm supposed to hear back from them in a few days, but I am pretty sure I did not land the job."

"Hm." He grunted. "Welp, sorry to hear that, (y/n). I uh," he stopped and glanced at your grandmother "I was gonna go somewhere, wanna come with me or.." 

Your grandfather made it pretty obvious to you that your grandmother had wanted you two to spend some time together. You appreciated this, but a part of you wished your grandfather could just come up with that idea by himself. 

"Sure." You said. I wasn't like you had anything better to do. Usually on days like this you would be talking with Sean, but the past few messages you sent him said things like 'Hey how's it going'? And his replies were usually a simple 'Hey'. So you got the idea that he wasn't in the mood to talk. 

"Where are we gonna go?" You asked.

"Well, I was thinking maybe bowling." He said as if the idea would have made you excited. He saw your lack of enthusiasm and his face went back to grumpy. "You don't have to come if you don't want to, but I'm bowling." 

"Fine, but I suck at bowling. And what's the point of me coming if all you're gonna do is focus on a ball knocking over pins?" You asked. "But whatever, I'll come." You said getting up to grab a coat that wasn't freezing cold and soaked with water. 

"Is Grandma coming?" You asked coming back from your room a few minutes later with your spare coat on. 

"Nah, she has a doctors appointment or somethin'. So it's just you and me." He said. You quietly made your way towards the door.

"So am I driving or.." You asked. Your grandfather didn't really answer as he made his way to your car. "Okay fine I'm cool with that I guess." You said and went to the drivers seat.